or Connect

Posts by taubel

We are at 5.25. We could refinance and go lower, but hesitate because we want to move and don't want to waste money on closing costs (unless it's for another house). 
Hi - I'm wondering if I can claim my DS's nursery school tuition as a child care expense on our tax return. I have a part time job and sometimes work while he is at school. He attends school for three hours a day, four days per week. I would say that I work only about one or two days a month while he's at school. That's not enough to count, right? Thanks!
I have not heard of safety issues concerning microfibers. It's just a hunch I have. I'd prefer to stick with simple cotton. I think I'll try the Swiffer with my own cotton rags. Thanks all!
We have SO much dust in our house. No idea why, but I'm trying to keep it under control. I dust weekly, with a wet rag, which I rinse periodically in the sink while dusting.   I'm looking for a way to quickly dust under beds, the couch, corners, etc. We have hardwood, vinyl and laminate floors throughout our house.   I was thinking some sort of Swiffer-type mop would work. But I would need a cloth to go with it that could be damp, rinsed/washed, reused, etc. I...
We are trying to put together a $20K emergency/savings fund. Once we have it, is it worth it to use an online account like ING? I saw that their rates are .80 right now. The other alternative would be to keep it at our current bank and/or credit union, but the interest rate would be a bit lower.   Obviously, we'll earn more interest with the ING account, but it won't be a huge amount. Is it worth it to move the money?   If you use ING, are you happy with...
It seems the all cotton ones are more comfortable (to me anyway) but the wool/cotton one is older, so maybe it wasn't made as well.   We bought wool puddle pads, but not from White Lotus. The puddle pads just cover the futon like a blanket. They don't wrap around, zip closed, etc.    
We have three of these futons. Not the organic ones, but one cotton/wool and two just cotton. They  have held up fairly well. There is a little bit of mildew on one of them, but we solved that problem by not putting them directly on the floor (bought platform beds with slats instead).    My kids are not experiencing allergy symptoms, so I can't say whether the futons have attracted a lot of dust mites or not. However, I do feel that they are increasing the amount of...
I would have the 4 yo and 22 month old share a room, and give the baby his/her own room. We have three boys and 2 bedrooms for them. It was easiest for me to put the baby in his own room. I kept all of the baby stuff in there, and it was a quiet place for him. It was also useful as a baby playroom as he became mobile. No chokable toys were allowed in that room.   Now my youngest is 4, and he hates having his own room! But we like it that way, so he doesn't keep his...
We don't do well with our food budget. For 2 adults and 3 kids, we spend between $1200 and $1400 a month! This includes anything we buy at the grocery store, including paper/toiletry items. It also includes beer. We never eat out, but sometimes get a pizza for dinner. We also rarely eat meat. We eat organic for the dirty dozen.   We don't often find coupons for the items we buy, but we do try to buy extra when there's a sale.   We spend a lot on organic milk and...
Thanks again. It's good to know DS isn't the only one who has broken multiple bones. I will talk to his ped again. And we're trying to get DS to be a little less reckless and think before he acts, etc.