or Connect

Posts by taubel

Thanks. I have been looking at OI and celiac online, and my DS does not really fit any of the profiles. But of course both of these diseases do have very mild forms. I am going to take him back to the doctor and demand that he give this more thought. 
My DS recently broke his wrist (both bones in the lower arm). He's wearing a cast now and is doing much better after his first week in the cast. I understand that this is a common place for a child to break a bone, etc., etc.    What worries me is that this is actually the THIRD time he's had a broken bone (he's about to turn 8). His first was a tiny "green stick" fracture in his leg. It happened as he was learning to walk/pull up, when his body twisted suddenly...
It's in the garage, ready to be donated. But then I started thinking that it could still be useful to us. Could we use it to store bins of legos or Playmobil? Could we make it into something else that might be useful to us?   I don't really want to use it for basement/garage storage, since the wood is likely to get ruined. But maybe there's a place for it in our home.   Problem is, it looks very much like a changing table, even with the pad removed. (It has...
I also still have my wedding dress (from 11 years ago). I designed it and had it custom made and of course loved it. But now it's just hanging in a closet - never even been cleaned or preserved! I have no sisters and three sons, so there's no one to even give it to!   I was all set to put it on Freecycle, but then DH jokingly said that some guy would probably take it and use it as a Halloween costume. Now THAT is depressing!   I would love to donate it to someone...
We have not done allowances in the past, but starting in January, we will be giving each of our three children a modest amount of money each month. I was planning to do their age each month - so my 10 year old would receive $10 each month.    Once they are getting an allowance, we will not be buying them any toys, etc. aside from holidays and birthdays. Anything they want will need to be purchased with their own money. (We will still buy clothing, school stuff,...
We pack lunches for my three kids about 95% of the time. I've always bought them cheap plastic lunchboxes (which break after a year or so), but I'm looking for something that's easier to care for (can go in the dishwasher, etc.) and is durable.   What are some good quality lunchboxes that will LAST?    Thanks!
Can you take out a loan from your 401(k)?
Yes, my kids are still fairly young: 10, 7 and 4. So that does save us a lot! Plus, we are fortunate that there are a lot of grandparents who like to spoil our kids with gifts. My mother spends at least $100 per kid, so that is a huge help! (Of course, she doesn't always get them gifts on the  list... but that's a whole other issue.)  
Thanks! I will check all of these out.
Lucky for us, there's not much my kids want for holiday gifts this year. Well, they do want expensive lego sets, but a couple of those will be purchased by grandparents. So we're hoping to get away with spending $50 (or less) per child. This would include the money we give them to make a gift to a charity.   I'm just wondering what others are planning to spend. Everyone I know in the "real world" seems to spend a fortune on their kids. One of my friends has four...