or Connect

Posts by taubel

We've been using way too many plastic bags to store our leftovers (in the refrigerator, not the freezer). Now my mother wants some ideas for holiday gifts for DH and me, so this might be a good time to invest in some glass storage containers.   I have seen glass ones with plastic fitted lids. Are those any good? I like the idea that we can re-heat the food right in the container. Do those come in different sizes? For the plastic lids, we will want something...
I'm finally getting around to combining my car and home insurance through one provider. With the discount for combining the two, we were able to up some of our liability amounts and add a rider to our home insurance.   With all this, we would be saving about $200/year.   But then the agent recommended we add an umbrella policy for $1 million. This will cost about $110/year after other discounts are factored in.   So now we would only save $90/year but we'd...
OK - I feel better that I'm not the only one who needs/wants to use the money for repairs, etc. Maybe I'll start putting away 25% of it every year to save for a vacation. We aren't big vacation-takers (we always go camping) but I do have family on the other side of the country, and it would be nice to visit them every few years.
If you get a sizable tax return, what do you do with the money? We usually get around $5 or $6K. Right now we're saving for a larger house and making repairs to our current home. And once we get a larger house, I'm sure we'll still need that money for repairs, general upkeep, etc.    Maybe someday we'll be able to use it for a vacation, though...      
A friend of mind removed her fold-out ironing board and hired a carpenter to build shallow shelves inside the space. It's now her spice cabinet!    
I guess there's really no clear answer on what to upgrade/not to upgrade. We already have new windows, new kitchen appliances (purchased over the last three years), and a newer furnace (we put it in 8 years ago).    I'll just continue to try and make the house look as nice as possible. I'm trying to make my closets, storage, etc. about 50% full so it looks like there's more space.   And I never realized it before, but a fresh coat of paint really does work...
I'll check out the Ooma and whether we can dial 911 without phone service.    Our phone company is trying to get everyone to convert to their Internet/TV/phone system, so it is IMPOSSIBLE to speak to them at all about a land line. They want the land lines all replaced with their new technology. Which we don't want.   I suppose I could also get a phone through my Internet provider, but then it wouldn't work when the power is out. But it will save me money!  
    Great story! I imagined the hot water heater going on a relaxed day when we have lots of time on our hands (and every plumber in town is readily available). But of course it would go on the day before we were going away for the weekend! I think we'll go ahead and replace it.    
Thanks for everyone's opinions! I think we will hold off on the MagicJack for now. I'd love to save the money, but we really need to have a reliable phone available. I want my kids to be able to dial 911 in an emergency, and cell phones are still a little tricky for them. 
We are planning to sell our house at some point (between now and a year from now, hopefully).    We've already done some major decluttering and organizing, as well as some interior painting.    Obviously, I don't want to sink a ton of money into this house. Our house is good and solid, but it is small and very typical and does not have any high-end fixtures, charm, etc. It would be considered a starter home in our area and is worth between $190 and...