or Connect

Posts by taubel

It's funny, because all of my friends tell me about how they were raised in a tiny house with three kids to a bedroom, etc., etc. But now that they've grown up, most of them tend to have only two kids, and NONE of them live in a small house. Their kids all have their own rooms. If it was so great growing up that way, why aren't they living that way now?    The room my older boys share is 10 x 12. It has a TINY closet. It's a challenge fitting furniture in there, and...
Thanks for everyone's perspectives!   I do feel as though we are making great use out of our current house. We are "living in every corner" as my neighbor says. For now, my kids enjoy sharing a room. Their dresser does have to be in the hallway, and one of their desks is in our bedroom, but it is working for the moment. I just don't see how we will be fitting into this space two years from now.    I don't want to spend my hard-earned money on more space, but I...
One of my goals - well, my main goal right now - is to buy a bigger house. We are watching our spending, saving up money, I am planning to work more hours, etc.   We are currently living in a 1300 sq ft 3 BR house with three boys. We would like a slightly larger 4 BR house. We don't want anything huge - we're hoping to find something in the 1500 to 1900 sq ft range.   At this point, we have about 50% equity in our home and the taxes are manageable. A larger home...
OP here...   Thanks for all the great responses and ideas!   I too did not think about COBRA. That would be expensive for a family. I suppose I could keep our living expenses the same for the EF, but just substitute our extras (like the summer pool membership) for the cost of COBRA.    We are going to aim for one year of living expenses, minus the income from our two part time jobs. If I calculate it this way, we already have a year's worth of living expenses...
I'm trying to determine how much DH and I should have in our emergency fund. We have three jobs between us, and our living expenses average about $4600/month (this includes EVERYTHING in the budget, including oil changes, summer pool membership, etc.)   If we wanted to have 12 months of living expenses, we'd need more than $55K in our fund - which we don't have!   But since we have three jobs, it's unlikely that we'd lose all three jobs at once. DH has a full...
We live in the northeast, in an average col area. My DH also makes about 60K, but then he has a side job, and I have a part-time job. Otherwise, we could not afford to live in our town. Our house is small and very average. Most of my friends are not wealthy and live relatively frugal lifestyles, but our house is smaller than all of theirs.    We bought our house more than 8 years ago, and did have a 20% downpayment (with the help of relatives). At this point, even...
Our mortgage, taxes and homeowners insurance are about 25% of our take-home pay (which includes DH's two jobs and my part-time job). We want to move to a slightly larger house, which would raise us up to about 33% of our take-home pay, and that makes me really nervous! We don't have much left over each month even at the 25% level. We had to make some home repairs this year, and food costs us a fortune.   I would not buy a house at 50%. It will just cause you tons...
Thought this was pretty brilliant.   http://www.thefinde.net/2011/08/entertainment-center-no-its-reading.html   Enjoy!
I try to get my daily chores done as early as possible in the morning, before taking the kids on any outings. This would include cleaning up the kitchen from breakfast, running the dishwasher, quick wipes of the bathrooms and laundry dried and folded (I do laundry daily).    I do maintenance when I can throughout the day. I usually save my "big" cleaning chore for right after the kids go to sleep. This would be when I would vacuum a few rooms, dust, or mop the...
I was in the Newton area, but spent a lot of time in Sussex with childhood friends. Yes, it's a beautiful area! And yes, you better start planning now how you're going to outsmart the bears! Best of luck to you.