or Connect

Posts by taubel

ellairiesmom - Glad things look like they're going to work out this time! That's a good idea about offering buyer's agents some sort of commission. I'll have to look into how that's done in my area.   Good luck with your new house. When I lived in NJ, it was in Sussex and then Warren County. Both beautiful areas!
We spend $1200 to $1400 a month for two adults and three kids (ages 10, 7 and 4). We rarely eat out and they bring lunch to school four days a week (and buy on the fifth day).    We buy about 50% organic and are 95% vegetarian. Most of our money goes towards organic milk and produce.   We spend a FORTUNE, but can't seem to cut it down much. This does include paper products and toiletries (anything we'd buy in a supermarket, I don't break down the...
Thanks for the tips. Yes, I do often visit open houses in our price range. I'm pretty confident our listing price would be lower (by $5 to $10K) than comparable homes in our area. But I think buyers would expect this since it would be a FSBO and they would know we were saving the realtor fees.   I do like the idea of giving a flooring allowance. I know what I would want for the floor (which costs about 3K) but a buyer may want to rip all the floors over and start...
There are probably a lot of FSBO deals that I would not know about in our town. It sounds like this might be worth a try. If we can't sell it, at some point we'll go with a realtor.   I am very aware of local home values. All the legal, contract, etc. stuff DH and I would need to learn about. We probably would hire a lawyer to help with the transaction.   Any other stories - positive or negative - please share! Thanks.
Thanks for sharing your story. I have seen some of your other posts on this topic and you guys have been through a lot with your house! (And it looks like it's a nice house, too). Is it in NJ? That is probably one of the problems! (I am originally from NJ, and we'd never be able to afford a house there.)   Fortunately, we have lived in our house for more than 8 years and are not underwater on our mortgage. If we listed our house for what we paid, I'm pretty confident...
You are the type of buyer we are looking for! I do have two estimates (ranging from $3K to $5K) to have the floor professionally removed (asbestos abatement). We could take care of that, but then I wouldn't know what type of new floor to put down! I'd rather give the buyer a credit for the removal and/or a new floor. We'd be wasting our money and the earth's resources to put down a floor that somebody might simply tear out when they bought the house.    A buyer could...
Thanks - yes, I agree that flooring is the least problematic asbestos location. It can easily be gone over, or it can be torn out pretty easily as well (if you're willing to take that risk). I just don't want to spend a ton of money on a new floor that a buyer may rip out anyway. But I also don't want to draw attention to the issue by leaving the floor as-is. I'm hoping for a happy medium, which will probably be to just go over it with an inexpensive vinyl.    For...
Thanks for your help! We have had a realtor come through the give his opinion on what needs to be done and what price he would list the house at. We don't need to do any major repairs. Mainly we just need to paint - and clean and scrub, of course!   I just thought it would be interesting to try and sell it ourselves in the meantime. Then we wouldn't have to do all that work first! (If we did happen to sell it, there are three houses currently on the market that I...
We are considering putting our house up for sale by owner on something like Craigslist and seeing if we get any interest.   We would be pricing it on the low side and would not have completed all the "fix-up" projects suggested by our realtor. I think there might be some buyers who would appreciate the fact that we are honest about the house's issues and have not covered up all the problems. (We don't have any major problems, anyway.)   If we could sell our house...
Maybe we should just ask a different realtor. We're friends with this guy, he sold us our house, has kids the same age, lives in our town, etc. But we could assure him we're just looking for other opinions. I would love to get other people's opinions on other potential repairs, too.