or Connect

Posts by anne1006

I was told I was higher risk because my first had a slight shoulder dystocia and I had a 4th degree tear. I went to a midwife group and they said I probably couldn't do water birth and was higher risk at my second appointment. I told them I was recommended to have a c-section from the OB that stitched me up, and that my husband said maybe it would be better. The midwife looked at me and said, "Well, that would be easier, maybe you should listen to him."   When I met...
Wow! What a great book! I want to buy it! It has completely stalled my housecleaning! Thank you so much, it is a great source. I think the graphs showing the slight national increase of neonatal mortality coinciding with the graph of maternal mortality hugely jumping, along with the other info in the chapter are evidence to anyone that isn't an idiot to see that conditions did not immediately improve for women when they started hospital birthing. Well, after seeing one...
Hey everyone. I wasn't sure where to post my questions, but I know as midwives or studying midwives, you all probably know the info :) So, I am in an argument with a person about the history of birthing in hospitals. He says hospitals were wonderful and infant mortality plummeted. I argued that infant mortality rose in hospitals because of poor sanitation and practices. He challenged me to cite my source, blaming me for being a pseudointellectual since I didn't have one...
Wow! She is quite a piece of work! I wish I could come back with a good one, but have been out of the loop for a while.
I totally agree! I had a terrible hospital birth. I had a 4th degree tear and had to go to surgery so I was separated from my baby, then had difficulty with nursing, and just didn't like being told what to do all the time. I was told I could never have a vaginal birth again because of the tear. Well, the episiotomy was the culprit, not the big baby! I found a great midwife and the last two kids were born at home with no tears at all! It was amazing. I also recommend it...
Thanks everyone! I definitely am glad I thought to come ask here before doing anything drastic! I can breathe easy now!
It makes so much sense that the opening would be small to keep stuff out. The doc said that infection could cause a problem... but, urine is sterile, so it wouldn't cause a problem, and a small opening would allow less in....
Thanks so much ladies! I love the mothering.com forum! This forum is what led me to research and find out I could have a normal birth after a 4th degree tear, and what led me to research homebirth! It changed my life, and continues to help me so much! I circ'ed my first son because I saw several infections in elderly patients I took care of during my college years when I worked at a nursing home. Then I heard that many kids needed to be circed in their early years for...
Hello, My baby is 6th months old now. He was born at home and though we circ'ed our first son, I have since learned a lot and we didn't circ Luke. I delayed shots a bit and when I went in the doc said his opening was really small and if he starts "balooning" when he pees we may need to talk. He was supportive of not circumcising, but said some kids actually do need it. I hadn't noticed the opening was small, but when I looked, it is tiny. The last time I had to wipe a...
My favorite things were: That it was opposite of my purple pushing induced horribly painful first birth where I got a 4 th degree tear. I got to labor in my own bed alone with my hypnobabies. I got to push for 7 minutes (not 3 hours) in a pool next to my aquarium. I got to pull my own placenta because I was afraid it would hurt like last time. I got to see the gender myself first. I had no tearing or bruising. I got to eat a half a pizza before, and the other...