or Connect

Posts by CeraMae

I am a single mother in low-income housing. I am white and 99% of the residents are hispanic. DS is an only child raised in a very loving (to the point of probably being sheltered) home, and just does not know how to take criticism from other kids. It pierces straight through to his soul, and it hurts him. We talk a lot about not taking things personally, letting it bounce off, and wearing his "armor" when he is around kids that are mean. Nevertheless, he has become...
Thank you so much for your input. It is such a struggle for me as a pacifist and a female to know how to deal with this issue! I agree with you Eclipse95, about his issue having to do more with impulse control. He never, ever tries to hurt others and clearly just gets rambunctious and has "casualties" to his carelessness. It's annoying to me to hear him in the other room while I'm cooking dinner, making explosion sounds and wrestling sounds all of the time. I'm sure...
I have a brilliant, imaginative and loving son who has a huge heart and lots of snuggles for everyone. He is very imaginative~ creating entire fantasy worlds in his head, coming up with inventions, etc. What concerns me, is that he is always applying his energy to thinking about "action." Although I don't have TV and limit his media exposure, I am a single mom and can't control everything he sees (nor do I think it is healthy to try and do that). It seems that whenever...
Thank you so much!!
I am writing an article and I would love to submit it to this magazine. As a single working mom and student, I just don't have a lot of time to search the archives to see if this has already been discussed. I would be SO grateful if someone would please help me know where to look. Blessings, xoxox Cera
Been there, felt that. I have struggled with this issue my entire adult life and have gone down several roads. I married my husband thinking that poly was okay with him, and he changed his mind. We had a baby and I felt totally devoted to having a strong wonderful relationship to bring our son up in. I did everything under the son I could think of to work on the marriage: therapy, couples counseling, 12-step group, medication, you name it. I moved halfway across the...
We have moved to a new town and ds (3.5) is really angry about it. He's mad about living in a new house, going to a new school, and the usual stuff that comes with moving. I can empathize, I mean, he had no say in the matter. We moved into a co-housing situation with a married couple and their 5yo daughter. DS is channeling all of his anger around moving into these new roommates and just plain screams whenever they set a boundary with him. I am totally at a loss! ...
Thanks so much for your imput. This whole situation has me feeling up-side-down because any babysitter/teacher that he has had tells me that he is one of the easiest or well-behaved kids ever. So to have him so aggressive and defiant toward roomates is new to me. He is acting defiant toward *anything* that they ask of him. If they ask him to let go of something he grabs harder. If they say good morning he walks over and stomps on their feet. It is SO HARD! I have...
We just moved into a new home 1 month ago. It is a wonderful co-housing arrangement for us. Our housemates are good people and have a 5yo daughter for ds to play with. Unfortunately, ds has channeled all of his negative feelings about the divorce/move into our 2 adult housemates. He does not want them to tell him what to do and he acts very negative toward and around them. It is hard on all of us! I feel so frustrated because I don't know what to do. I cannot make...
In your opinion, have you noticed differences between girl and boy children? When I was pregnant I was convinced that all gender stereotypes were learned, and that kids just learned how to be different. As a parent, I feel otherwise. I watched my infant son pick up tractors and make machine noises before I had even exposed him to any. He was crazy about trains, climbing, and wrestling. No matter how gender-neutral I try to be, and no matter how gender-neutral my...