or Connect

Posts by shanniesue2

I think I would be tempted to reply "did you really just say that?"   This explains why people are starting to bug me about having more!  DS just turned 3 and I'm not pregnant, nor do I have any intention of becoming pregnant any time soon.  My parents were bugging me about it a couple of weeks ago... they NEVER bugged us about getting pregnant even before I was preggers with DS... why do they have to start now?  Bleh!      
Honestly, I would be very tempted to say something like, "I'm sorry, sis... you guys are just too popular for us.  I'm just not popular enough to be able to give you any kind of advice on this situation.  Maybe you'd better call up someone who understands popularity and ask them for help."
This issue is very tangible in my family.  My brother is gay and is married to a man (YAY that he went to grad school in Iowa and had Iowa residency!!).  I live in one of the most conservative states in the country, so it is very important to me that DS see and hear positive messages about gay people and we have been very intentional about that.  We talk openly about uncle Scott and uncle Alex, although in a normal way.  DS is only 3, so I haven't brought the sexuality...
It's not just the potential for crying and gurgling noises.  Newborns pee.  Newborns have blowout diapers.  They spit up (sometimes in a projectile manner).  And sometimes all 3 at the same time.  All of these things can and do frequently happen without warning--no matter how non-distracting a baby's personality is.  What happens when one or more of the potential 8 babies in class spits up all over mom and her note taking materials and the open text book of the...
I agree.  I don't understand what's wrong with it.  He might as well have ended it with "have a nice day."  It would be one thing if he had said, "with the peace of Christ" or "with God's blessings" because that would be specifically religious.  But I think that, coming from someone who works in ministry, "blessings" is a perfectly normal closing.   And this post is coming from someone who isn't Christian and who is pretty sensitive to religious references in daily...
http://allsoulschurch.libsyn.com/hope-is-a-thing-with-fangs   Here is the podcast... mods if I'm not supposed to post this, I'm sorry... but it's just such a beautiful sermon, on just this topic   P.S.  you'll probably want to have a box of tissues handy
I recently finished a book by Kate Braestrup (a UU minister) that was about prayer.  She was also the key note speaker at my church's women's retreat and preached at our service on that Sunday.  Her sermon was on prayer and it was so beautiful.  We were all in tears by the time it was over.  If I can find a link to a podcast, I will post it... but basically (and I agree with her) she said that prayer doesn't work to give us everything we ask for, instead it works to open...
  Okay, maybe its just because I was born and raised in Oklahoma, but I don't hear a difference in pronunciation between "whirld" and "world."  And I know that I don't have the stereotypical drawl, but maybe there is a regional difference in how those sounds are pronounced?     
I had to respond to this... b/c I come from a clan too, and when my gr.grandma turned 100, we had a HUGE party.  She had 6 children, most of them had at least 3-4 children.  My grandmother had 6 children and I have 14 first cousins and about half of us had children at the time.  Plus friends of hers from the senior apt complex she lived in and from church, etc.  While it was not a "wild" party... it was huge... just my grandmother's branch of the family numbered around...
thanks to the posters who respectfully gave their input.  I definitely have more to think about now.  However, I don't really like the tone that this thread seems to be taking all of a sudden... so I'm bowing out.