or Connect

Posts by shanniesue2

So I came out of last Sunday's service very disappointed.  Our ministered preached on the Abraham/Isaac scripture (our theme for the month is religious authority)... and his take on it was very interesting.... but at the end of the sermon, he added lessons that God might have learned from the whole encounter... and basically said that God dreamed of a day there would be a church like ours.  I'm hugely condensing and paraphrasing, but that was the basic idea.  And that...
I don't think that you have to admit that monsters are real in order to acknowledge that they are real to HER.   I don't talk about this very much because it's kind of embarassing, but even as an adult, I sometimes have some very real night time fears... mostly surrounding ghosts and other supernatural sorts of things.  Any time I've ever said anything about it to anyone, they always tell me there's no such thing.  Of course, this never works to soothe my fears......
DS is almost 3 and he loves his balance bike... we have a strider and it looks just like a regular bike.  Having seen lots of little kids on bikes with training wheels, I think the balance bikes look way more fun... DS really gets to going on his (although he hasn't started picking his feet up, yet)... and I've seen videos of little kids riding around on skate parks and bmx tracks... I don't think that's something that can really be done with training wheels.  That said,...
My almost 3 yo DS is going through a huge monster phase, but in kind of a silly way... he started talking about it in a silly way, and I didn't/don't want it to turn into a scary thing for him... so we started playing silly monster games (i.e. tickle monster, hug monster, kissy monster, etc)... where in I do whatever that monster does.... so I might start being the kissy monster and give him kisses all over... and what he does during a monster "attack" is give me a big...
that's what I meant... I just used the word alcohol for lack of knowing what's really in them....
It really turned out all right... Doc sent us to a lab b/c it was after hours... didn't want to wait till tomorrow b/c we're expecting 10" of snow in the next 24 hours (on top of the nearly 20 we got last week).  So I was mostly worried b/c who knows what you're going to get at a lab...kwim?   well we got there, and they hadn't received the order, yet.  But then all of a sudden DS said he had to pee, so she grabbed us a cup and we all hustled into the bathroom.  She...
that I will get the sample?  While he's potty trained, he won't pee on command... so when I tell them that I will get the sample without retraction... then what?  I'm sorry if this sounds really stupid... I don't want to say "I will get the sample" and then all of us just standing there while I look like a fool not knowing how to get a sample after I just said I would.  Again, I probably sound like an idiot typing this... but I'd rather sound like an idiot on a...
My son has blood in his urine.  And I'm waiting to hear back from the doc on when we can go to get a urinalysis.  We love his doc, who has never even touched DS's penis.  But last time he had to give a urine sample with the bag (after surgery when he had had a catheter for 24 hours), the nurse retracted him just far enough to dab the tip of his glans with an alcohol wipe)... I want to avoid any retraction, and I'm not sure who we're gonna get to do this.   So, my...
Hi Rachel! How fun to see you on here :)   We are definitely over the snow, too... Was looking at the weather and next week its supposed to be in the 60s!  So soon, the white stuff will all be a memory and instead, we'll have piles of gray stuff hanging around in parking lots and on street corners ;)     -Shannan
does he identify the letters with you?  The names for the letters are arbitrary and, in reality, not really necessary for figuring out how to read.  I mean, if you're trying to sound out "cat" is it important to know that the names of the letters are c-a-t?  That said, there is evidence that letter recognition is an indicator of reading success... but that doesn't mean that kids who don't name letters can't read.   But aside from all that, which really isn't the...