or Connect

Posts by shanniesue2

OP, honestly, if I were you I would tell my mom "thank you for your concern, I'm looking at all the information I can.  I will make the best decision for any future sons that I can.  Can we please drop the subject?"  I essentially told my mom the same thing, only A LOT more forcefully (she was being pretty forceful with me).  When I told her my decision, she very angrily said, "WELL I THINK YOU'RE MAKING A BIG MISTAKE!"  And I replied, "Well the good news is that in this...
I know that they use OWL at my church.  A friend of mine is one of the instructors and I know that recently, she did a birth story lesson with the 3rd graders... and I think she said that there is a story that they use with first graders... I think she said that at that age there is information about good touch/bad touch.  She did say that the information for the younger ages didn't cover sex acts.  Aside from that I don't really know much more about it.  DS isn't 3...
Can I just say how much the idea of doctors telling my son when he's grown that he needs a circ for __insert medical problem___ worries me.  It's kind of alarming to me that my son has a body part that most doctors don't know anything about!  Not that that would be a good reason to amputate it, but I guess it does emphasize the importance of teaching DS about the foreskin so that, as an adult, he doesn't leave a dr's appt thinking "great, now I have to have it cut off. ...
Christopher is on a roll this weekend....   The child loves pb&j sandwiches... on those 100 calorie sandwich rounds... and every meal he requests "peanut butter round bread" (don't worry, we don't give in at every meal).  So this morning when he requested his "peanut butter round bread" I said, "Christopher, you ask for peanut butter round bread for every meal.  Don't you think you should add some variety and ask for something else?"  So you know what he...
I highly highly highly recommend "Beginner's Grace" by Kate Braestrup.  She is UU... but the book isn't overtly UU, or anything... it does reference the bible a lot... but is also friendly to non-Christian persuasion.   It is basically a book about beginning a practice of prayer.  It is beautiful, insightful, accessible, and fairly easy to read.   I just went on a women's retreat where Kate was our keynote speaker and then she preached at our church service last...
See, and we've tried that approach:  putting him back to bed, give a kiss, pat on the back and leave... and DS's cries aren't angry or scared cries... they are these heartbroken cries that seriously tug at me... it's not like I'm so pissed because you won't let me sleep with you... it's like Oh my goddess, mommy doesn't want to stay with me anymore....   So right now, I am trying to stay focused on the fact that our bedtime routine and timing is so improved!  We put...
Me: DS, we're going out for pizza DS:  No, I don't want to go for pizza.  I don't like pizza.  I want to call grandpa and make arrangements DS:  (on toy phone) Hi grandpa.  This is Criffer.  I need to make arrangements.  Okay.  Bye.
DS is also Christopher, and I also don't like Chris or Topher.  I think that little kids with big names are just too cute.  DS is 3 now and introduces himself as "Criffer"  It's the closest he can get.  I don't call him Criffer, though... I stick with Christopher and just figure that he'll get all 3 syllables at some point.  I don't tend to correct people unless they are going to be people that we see regularly (although I did correct the nurse at our first...
Hi!   We had our women's retreat this weekend and it was really really good...  Kate Braestrup was our keynote, and she is so amazing and insightful.  She preached at our service on Sunday and gave this wonderful sermon about prayer and hope.  She talked about the recent birth and death of her grandson.  About prayer not working in the sense that there is this Santa Claus god in the sky giving us whatever we ask for.  But that prayer allowed her to be open to...
other than using whole milk, adding butter, oil, or sour cream to nearly everything we cook... what are some good ways to get more fat into his diet?  Especially since he doesn't like avocado, yogurt, nuts, or smoothies?   last time we measured height, he was right at 36 inches.  I can't remember what his height was at his 2 yo visit, but I know that he's grown in height because he's gone from size 18 months to size 2T, but only for length.  He could still wear size...