or Connect

Posts by herenow2

Yesterday I went in for an NST.  The hospital where I plan to deliver likes women over age 35 to get them from week 36, but after discussing with my OB, I waited until 38.  Everything has been perfectly healthy this pregnancy and I was shocked when they came in after my first 20 minute strip and told me that I needed to get to L & D for extended monitoring.  Apparently, there was a late decel after a minor contraction (seemed to me to be a braxton hicks at the time which...
I have a theory that people who eat really well may actually fail the 1 hour GTT more often because their body isn't used to all the sugar.  I don't like the idea that I work so hard to eat well and then the doctor makes me fast and then consume a massive amount of sugar just to see if everything is okay.  There is always the option of monitoring your own blood sugar if you don't want to take the test.
Thanks everyone.  The under 90-95 fasting numbers seem to be a pretty universal standard.  I swear this endo is a little nuts.  When I spoke with her she honestly seemed to think I was crazy for eating lower carb (really it's just a lower grain diet, plenty of fruits and veg and I am really confident that it is a healthy way to eat!) and she wanted to hold me to totally different standards.  If I start getting over 90's, I'll definitely speak with my OB, but till then I...
I failed my 1 hour test back at 28 weeks (just by one point), but had a previous bad reaction to the 3 hour test so my ob has let me monitor my blood sugar instead of doing the 3 hour.  I have been monitoring and all my numbers have been great (my doctor has said - she's sure I would have passed the 3 hour test based on my numbers) though I eat a very low carb diet naturally, so that makes it a little complicated.  My fastings have been in the mid 70s and postprandials...
We just bought some new cream colored chairs and I was wondering if there are any eco-friendly ways to improve their stain-resistance?  The guy at the store kept telling me to use scotch guard but I don't want a layer of teflon on furniture my kids will sit on. Any ideas?
Ouch, quantumleap, your sister named her baby the same name as your son when he was only 9 months!  I would definitely be miffed on that one!  Sounds like you are dealing with it quite well :).  Maybe they will both evolve into totally different nicknames over the years.     This is why I keep wondering if I should call my cousin and explain the predicament my husband are in (we can agree on NO names except a few that are recently taken by other little boys in our...
Thanks everyone!   What do people think about me calling my cousin to run it past her?  Would that be weird or polite?  
Okay, I am pregnant with a baby boy and my husband and I have been having a terrible time coming up with a name.  We both like classic boy names but every single one of our favorites is "taken" by someone else.  Since they are classic and pretty popular names, I guess that is inevitable but I'm wondering where the line is with repeating names - unless you are intentionally naming your child after someone (which we aren't.)   I would love some opinions on name...
I just started this "snack plate" thing that my kids love, when my husband is not home and I don't feel like cooking.  It consists of all sorts of random things from the fridge - carrots, tomatoes, cheese and crackers, maybe a spoonful or two of leftover beans or pasta or something, some fruit.  It's colorful, mostly finger food and the kids are so excited for it and I have nothing to clean up!  It's actually weird because they even eat things they wouldn't normally when...
Yes, I agree it's not good to "trick the test."  It is a serious condition that you want to know about!   I just mean you may have the option of managing it on your own by diet while monitoring it throughout your pregnancy.  The GD clinic will most likely have you monitor it with diet anyway and you only need insulin if it's really out of control - which you would know if continue regular monitoring with your OB.  Some people like to manage it on their own to avoid the...