or Connect

Posts by kaybee

Some of your symptoms could be gluten-related.  Celiac presents itself in many ways.  In kids, often the only sign is failure to thrive or even behavior issues.  My son was anemic - no other symptoms. Celiac is usually diagnosed via a blood test and then via biopsy.  If the blood test is positive, then it's usually pretty accurate.     My son has celiac.  He goes to public school.  Although we do have a doctor's note, he has never needed it to get accommodations for...
My ds was diagnosed with anemia when he was 8. After trying supplements, etc. for several months, with no success, we found out he has celiac. When celiacs eat gluten, it damages their intestines, essentially making it hard to absorb nutrients. He is now completely gluten-free, and his anemia is gone. If he continues to be anemic, despite your your best efforts, get him checked for celiac. (But get him checked before going gluten-free, because the tests only work if...
I don't have the magic answer, just a been-three, done-that as a science academic.  We moved for my dh's job after I finished my Ph.D.,  I didn't have work lined up, and I had a 2-yr-old.  I ended up working part-time helping to get a graduate program up and running in a related field (footwork, planning out and teaching program classes, etc.).  It was 20 hrs/week, and except for the teaching part, which was one day a week, I could work from home.  I also applied for...
Ok, back to planning...   This week: 1. Finish edits on Terr paper and submit. Submitted to co-authors for final comments. 2. Finish MW's thesis 3. Spend 2 hrs/day on Pin paper on W/Th/F Forgot W was short; Th 1 hr 4. Review 1 G ms 5. Spend 2 hrs/day on Pin code on W/Th/F Th 1 hr 6. Finish proposal review 7. Read MB's thesis proposal 8. Finish GN's thesis draft   Great to see you at EGU last week, D!
I will be there.  I will try and find you.  My talk is Thursday morning.
My 9-yr-old has celiac, so he has to be gluten-free.  From what I hear from other parents of celiacs, changes in behavior from removing gluten can be very noticeable and happen pretty quickly.  A lot of celiac kids were originally tested because of behavior issues, not GI issues.  So yes, gluten can certainly influence behavior. 
Great progress, D!   We left town (and internet-land) for spring break.  Very refreshing.  Came home to a pile of work though.   Here are my goals this week: 1. Read and respond to M's thesis draft 2. Finish edits on Terr ms (just accepted with minor revisions!) 3. Finish presentation for Tuesday meeting - DONE 4. Read T's thesis for Friday defense - DONE 5. Compile questions on A's thesis for Wed defense DONE 6. Write reference letter - DONE 7....
When we went gluten-free, we got a copy of a shopping guide from Cecilia's Marketplace.  It really helped us to figure out which brands were ok and which weren't.  It's not comprehensive, but it was sure helpful at the beginning.  I think they have gluten-free and casein-free guides.  
I need to get better about posting.  Ultimately, I think I need to get better about setting goals.    Goals this week: 3/5: 1 hr on depo; 1 hr on PV; get code working; Make detailed to do lists to better focus time 3/6: Read MB paper; 1 hr on CR report; 1 hr on depo slides; Run code 3/7: 1 hr on CR report; Make figures for CR report; 1 hr on PV/code 3/8: Finish depo slides; Finish CR report - Neither finished, but I did get some good work done on each....
Welcome dulci_mami!  I'm on a research leave in Europe right now, too.  (And also spending an inordinate amount of time with school drop-offs and pick-ups, with my 6 and 9 yo).  My dh was on a trip last week, so I had both drop-offs and pick-ups.  Lots of time on the metro.  Not so much time writing.     But I HAVE been writing - yay!  CR draft report is almost done.     Goals: 2/19: Finish up CR draft report and send to colleague  Finished it and emailed it...