or Connect

Posts by clovergirl

I'm in CT and that's not mandatory state law (a 24hr stay), as far as I know.  Maybe she means the hospital can't *make* you leave before 24hrs?  Hospital policies are just that, hospital policies, not actual law.  You can always decline the stay and sign yourself out AMA if all is well.  Additionally in CT, you can absolutely decline, well, pretty much everything (eye drops, vitamin K, hep B shot, hearing test, etc).  The insurance thing with homebirth midwives in CT...
Welcome back!  Your story sounds really familiar, were you the mama behind the original SugarPeas?  If so, I LOVED your diapers and covers, especially the side snap fitteds!  I used to work at Papaya Patch in West Hartford and we sold them there... used them on my last two kids.  Sorry to hear about your restaurant, this fall was so hard on so many businesses.  Hope to see you around one of these days... is it the Coventry Market you sell at?  My business will be there...
Sleeping Baby Productions :)  
I think that more than likely, at 6mo and 20lbs, you two have outgrown the K'tan.  You mentioning that "she gets heavy fast and my neck/back start to hurt" means that the stretchy fabric of the K'tan is not supporting/distributing her weight well for you anymore.  It's not uncommon actually, most people find that carriers made of stretchy knit material kind of wear out their welcome when the baby is somewhere between 15-20lbs. You may want to look into a mei tai style...
Have you considered going through Birth Partners?  They have several doulas on staff and they will match you up with who they think you'll mesh with best, depending on what you are looking for.  You obviously have final say, but it's nice to have some of that work done for you ahead of time! www.BirthPartnersDoulas.com Hope you find the right fit!
I'll second Hanna Andersson, their unders are awesome!  They do have a crotch seam on the girls briefs and bikinis but neither of my girls have ever complained about that.   There's also these ones, which I haven't tried, but they look super comfy! http://www.softclothing.net/products/seamlessunderwear/
I can do a ruck in less than a minute, probably 30 seconds or so depending on what variation I am doing.  There are lots of other quick back carries you can do with a wrap too, though some take a little longer. If you are looking for longevity, I would pass on the Bali Breeze (which is gauze) and go with a German style woven instead.  The gauze is nice and light/cool, but it tends to not be as supportive for older/bigger babies and toddlers.  Didymos is just one brand...
Well, the only hospital practice I can think of that may be worth a call in that area is Circle for Life Midwifery.  It's a new practice made up of two very seasoned midwives, Paula Cate and Sarah Najamy.  They deliver at St. Vincent's, I think.  I'm not sure about whether or not they will take twin births, but it's worth asking at least! As far as homebirth midwives go... well, there are several CPMs practicing in CT right now.  Joni Stone is in the New Haven area and...
From what I understand, yes, Birth&Beyond takes Husky and homebirth is covered.  Though I don't think everything is covered for the homebirth with Husky, like the cost of the birth kit and I think the fee for the birth assistant?  But I could be wrong about that.  I just know I have had friends with Husky use B&B in the past that did have to pay a bit out of pocket, though nowhere near the total it would have cost. I think the going rate for a homebirth with a CPM (all...
With prefolds and covers, my usual recommendation is at least one cover for every four prefolds in your stash.  Newborns can easily go through 10-12 diapers a day, so that means if you'll be cloth diapering full time with prefolds/covers you'll probably want at least 24 prefolds and 6 covers in your stash.    That will have you washing about every two days, if you want to be on the safe side you may want to get more. The covers can be wiped down easily or even hand...