or Connect

Posts by clovergirl

Hey mama!  You may want to check out the MindfulVillage.org website... there are lots of likeminded families around!  Feel free to PM me if you want, we're secular un/homeschoolers too and have been enjoying this early spring weather with lots of outdoor park/playground days!  Once the weather is consistently nice the Mindful Village group "hosts" a park playday at Wolcott Park in West Hartford (around the corner from Trader Joe's, if you know where that is) once a...
  Just wanted to pop in to say that the cradle carry is not really being recommended anymore as the "go-to" position for newborns.  It puts them at a higher risk for positional asphyxia, where their head flops forward (chin touching their chest) and they kink their airway/can't breathe.  An upright carry, with the baby's torso on the wearer's chest (usually called a "tummy to tummy" carry) is much, much safer in this regard and also allows for proper spine and hip...
  Quote: This, absolutely.  I personally love ring slings and wouldn't be without one, but, they aren't as great for when you need to wear the baby for an extended period of time.  Which is where the woven wrap comes in!  Both types of carriers can be used from birth, with the baby's legs in or legs out.  Being able to wear a newborn with legs out is key, IMO, because lots of newborns dislike legs in and if you only have a carrier that can be used legs in with a baby who...
Babywearing is always going to be warm, since you are in body contact and sharing body heat, but it can be much more comfortable with the right type of carrier.  A linen ring sling would be a great, cooler option.  Or a lightweight woven wrap.  Or even a mei tai.  Basically, most anything will be cooler than a Moby Wrap.  It's a lot of fabric and you are using at least three layers to cover the baby (or six, if you are folding it in half width-wise) so it's going to make...
Usually diapers can withstand storage for a little while (a couple years or so if stored correctly) but some components will wear out over time.  Usually elastic (usually in the legs and sometimes wait of fitted, pocket, or all-in-one diapers or waterproof covers) is what goes first, especially if it is stored wear it's hot and dry.  It will just break down and no longer be stretchy. If the biodegradable part of the particular type of diaper you are talking about is...
  This is pretty much my story too, except my first birth was at a hospital with a CNM.  I did have a few cervical checks towards the end of my pregnancy and then a few during labor as well.  I was really not a fan, especially during labor... it was not fun to have someone's hand in my vagina when I was working so hard and already uncomfortable. With my second and third pregnancies and births (homebirths with CPMs), no cervical checks at all.  With my second, my labor...
Two more weeks until the diaper swap! I know we have several pregnant mamas coming to buy, so if you have some outgrown newborn/small things please come to sell!
Cindy St. Onge is in Avon, I think?  She's very intact friendly.  Also Edward Kavle, he is in a practice that has offices in Canton and Torrington.  Hope that helps. :)
Well, the carriers that are good for toddlers would be mei tais and soft structured carriers that are toddler sized (meaning a taller body and wider seat) or a woven wrap.  The mei tais and soft structured carriers are much easier on and off, in general, while woven wraps have a higher learning curve.  All three options will allow for front or back carries, so it really just depends on what type of carrier you prefer. 
Well, the ToddlerHawk will give you a few extra inches of height in the body panel to support your DS but besides that it may not offer more support for you.  Have you considered an Oh Snap instead?  It's more structured like the Ergo but the body panel is taller and you can cross the straps on your back for a front carry.  So, you'll get the benefit of a taller body panel to "reign in" your DS but also the structured waist and the straps crossing on your back (which...