or Connect

Posts by clovergirl

Cloth Diaper Sale&Swap Meet Date: Saturday March 3rd from 10am-12pm * Location: New Britain Family Wellness Center (85 Lafayette St., New Britain CT) *In the winter months, the Family Wellness Center follows the following weather cancelation policy for Saturday programs: If there is a parking ban in place for the city of New Britain, all programs are canceled. In case of inclement weather the morning of the meeting, be sure to check the closing listings on the news...
Ahem, well, I have more than one.   The Pure linen is a great starter sling, it's a single layer of linen so nice and lightweight for the hotter months.  I do personally prefer the double layer linens though (I have an Essential linen in Raven~Storm), mostly because I love ring slings and use them long term.  It's nice to have the extra layer with a heavier/older baby (like over 25lbs).  I also have a silk one (an Artisan, in Anise Stripe), which is my favorite, but it's...
My top two suggestions for newborns are ring slings and wraps.  Since you already have the Moby Wrap you are good there, unless you wanted to give a woven wrap a try instead.  They are more supportive for heavier/older babies and can be used for back carries as well, so they more versatile too.    There are lots of good ring sling options... my personal favorite is Sakura Bloom.  I also like Sleeping Baby Productions and Kalea Baby.  It really just depends on what...
Definitely finding a carrier that you can put on before you leave the house under your coat is a plus.  Then sitting in the car next to them and getting the baby in the carrier there instead of outside is a good idea as well.  I personally like ring slings and wraps (pre-tied, in "poppable" variations) for this, as they are more comfortable to wear when driving and the easiest to get baby in/out of.  And sometimes if it was really bad and it wasn't a far walk in, I'd...
Wrap style carriers are great for newborns.  Like with all other carriers, you just need to make sure the baby is in a seated spread-squat position with their bum lower than their knees so legs are not dangling down and putting undue pressure on their hips/spine. :)
Well, I am going to echo the poster above me and say I never found the hip position comfortable in the Ergo.  It kind of peeves me that they promote that as a position with their carrier, because I have yet to meet someone who uses it that way and actually likes it!  If you want to be able to do a hip carry, you may want to look into a ring sling, short wrap, or a dedicated hip carrier (like a Scootababy) instead. :)
There's a lot of offerings around the Hartford area, but none really in Hartford.  If you are east of the river you may want to look into the coop in Manchester that runs out of the Lutz Children's Museum.  I'm pretty sure they offer classes for younger kids.  I'm west of the river and we participate in a few different things, but no formal coops right now.  There are a few though, we did the Greenspring Coop in Middletown last year and enjoyed it.  They only offer a few...
Hey Connecticut Mothering.com mamas and papas! I thought some of you may be interested in the info for these meetings. See the info below and let me know if you have any questions about the group. I will bump up this post each month with the new meeting dates. Central CT Babywearers Group Meetings Come join us for a morning of talking about carriers! Whether you have questions about babywearing in general, are looking to try out a new type of carrier, need help with...
Yes, that's true.  In CT there is CIRTS, however, you can opt your child out of it.  I did so with my last two children who were born in CT.  I just looked it up though and even if your child is enrolled it sounds like a school cannot access those records... here's a clip from their FAQ page:   5.Who has access to the information in CIRTS? CT state law requires that information in CIRTS be kept confidential.  Only you, your doctor, or health care workers who can assist...
There's not really, unfortunately.  Because CT does not have a philosophical exemption if you are selectively vaccinating you may be scrutinized as to why your religious beliefs "allow" for some vaccinations but not others.  It's easier of course if you stop vaccinating all together or are not sending your children to daycare or school.  In that case you may never be questioned as to why your children are not "up to date".  Medical exemptions do allow for you to have...