or Connect

Posts by snguyen

I worked with Erika Urban as my HB midwife, she is based out of the St Peter / Mankato area.  I have BCBS insurance, and while they ended up covering part of my child's homebirth, I had to jump through a bunch of hoops and be a real pain in the rear.  Be sure that, whomever you go with as your midwife, to get each visit coded specifically for what it is: prenatal care, actual birth, etc.  BCBS didn't want to cover any of our expenses-- but I kept dogging them that, at the...
Hi Buddhamom, any updates?
Buddhamom-- Is your husband looking at a job right in Lake City or one of the surrounding towns?
It's over an hour west of Lake City, but Northfield sounds right up your alley.  20,000 people, historic downtown with a knitting shop and yoga studio, two high-end liberal art colleges, diverse for being outside the metro, Buddhist worship downtown, food co-op, it's got a good amount of crunch, many mixed race families both by marriage and adoption (including mine).  Lots of both conventional and organic farming in the surrounding area, plus a sheep farm eight miles out...
Erika Urban was my midwife and absolutely loved her, but you do have to travel to her in Mankato for appointments.   http://www.erikaurban.com/   Rachel Knudsen lives in Hartland over in the Owatonna area, she assisted at my birth and was equally wonderful.  She travels for appointments, you'll have to ask her if goes as far as Worthington.   http://www.facebook.com/GentleHandsMidwiferyLlc   Sioux Falls might be the easiest place for you to look. Have you...
PMd you.
  The funny thing is, the "secular" homeschoolers that I know personally are both from my church, one of them is the pastor's wife!   We belong to the United Church of Christ, which is a fairly liberal denomination.     Joyfilledmama is also expecting her baby any second now and I know she plans to homeschool.  Just know that you "know" some people around here if you decide to move up.  Best wishes to you and the new little one!
  Yep, if you find Northfield on the map, we are about an hour's drive or less from both the Twin Cities and Rochester (Mayo), so there are your biggish hospitals!   Our local hospital / clinic system is growing rapidly as well, with a lot of ties to Mayo.  What exactly does your husband do?
We stopped vaxing our 6 YO when she was 1 1/2, and she goes to public school.  We just submitted the notarized vax record form stating our conscientious objection to the school nurse and have not had any problems so far.     I saw that you are planning to homeschool in a different post.  If you move to southeast MN, my town of Northfield might interest you. There are both religious and secular homeschoolers in the area, enough of a crunchy crowd (college town),...
I have an aunt and uncle who live in your area but I am down in Northfield. I am so sorry I don't live in your direction, I have two hapa girls who are 16 months and 6.   And we love to bake...