or Connect

Posts by headlongamy

I think if a baby/toddler is old enough for the "big kid" bed, they're old enough to sleep with a sibling. I too would have reservations about an infant with a big kid, but my 2 and 4 year olds have been sleeping together since Dex was just 2 and Ruby was not-quite 4. They seem to really like the comfort of being in the same room/bed. There was some necessity involved, cuz we were living in Japan for 2 months when Dex was 21-months and Ruby 3-years old. There, we just...
Our bedtime routine is pretty set. Before we go upstairs, we pick up toys. Then, around 8-8:30, bath if they need it, pjs, brush teeth, bedtime book, lights out, bedtime story, song, then I go downstairs. My 2 and 4 year old kids share a bed, so sometimes they talk quietly or turn their light on and "read", which we don't mind. I also think it's really good to have a lovey to sleep with. My 4-yr-old has a bear and 2-yr-old has a dollie. I often tell them stories at...
I had a great run of about 10 years with the diaphragm and am always trying to convince my condom- or pill-using girlfriends to switch. It is nice that you can just put it in if you think you might have sex, but I agree every night is a bit silly, and you could get a UTI from the pressure. You don't need to put any additional spermicide in unless you have sex twice within the six hours or however long (sorry, it's been a while) you have it in. I never did that, myself,...
Hi sonya, I too am very fertile. Had one baby, got period once, got preg again! Before 2nd baby, I used the diaphragm for years and really liked it. Convenient, especially if you aren't having sex too often. If you use them right, they are really effective. When I got pregnant it was because I was being (somewhat intentionally) lazy. But for about 10 years before that, it worked beautifully. I tried a cervical cap, but found it harder to reach for insertion and...
Hi mommas, I've had an IUD since having my second and last child. I really like the convenience. I recently tried a menstrual cup, which was a great tampon-alternative, but then read the small print, which said IUD users shouldn't use them. Anyone have any further info/experience? BTW, I think IUD is a great method if you think you might not want more kids. I know birth control is the last thing on your mind right after giving birth, but you need to think about it...
I'm in the same boat, but with a slightly different situation. I am a choreographer/dancer and am going on tour with my dance company for about 3 weeks in September. I need to wean my (now) 13 month old son by then -- I really can't take him with me, it's just too hard to find good child care on the road. My son is nursing 3 times a day -- first thing in the am, early afternoon, and before bedtime. I want to gradually and gently wean him and I have 4 months, but it's...