or Connect

Posts by Oliver'sMom

Thank you so much for the very thoughtful replies!   I've tried to change his sleep environment multiple times in hopes of improving his sleep, but I haven't had much luck.  We live in a very small house and I think if I had the ability to create a sleep space that was just for him, things may get better, but it's just not in our cards now.  I've made him nests on the floor in our room, or the room my boys sleep in, but once someone has to enter the room, or makes...
My 2.5 yo has always been a pretty horrible sleeper.  He has never slept longer than a 4 hour stretch...in his whole life.  I nursed him on demand day and night until he was 2, then we night weaned.  His sleep didn't get any better.    Lately he has been waking up at 4am, screaming.  This morning was especially bad.  He woke up screaming, "I'm tired!!"  I said, "ok honey, lay down and go back to sleep, I'm right here next to you."  "No!  I'm not tired!!"..."Ok, if...
I've only had time to read through the first couple of pages in this thread, but I definitely wanted to be a part of this conversation!   Since the return of my period, 16 months after my youngest son was born, I've had horrible PMDD symptoms that are getting progressively worse.  I went to my doctor about 6 months ago, and he told me that my body was hormonally imbalanced because I was still nursing my 2 year old.  He said he wouldn't do any more than a basic blood...
We all got the flu shot this year.  My husband teaches germ infested college kids and my son goes to school all day.  I stay home with my younger son, but we both got vaccinated as well since dh and ds carry all the nasties home with them.  My younger son is also highly prone to respiratory infection and has been hospitalized with pneumonia in the past.  The flu would wreak havoc on him.  We also take vitamin D in winter, wash hands regularly and eat whole nutritious...
I loved naked juice's "green machine" when I was in labor.  Make sure you bring straws!  For some reason it is absolutely impossible to drink normally from a cup when you are in labor :)  
Thank you so much for your thoughtful response!  That's really helpful advice.  What a great idea to look at a map of the metrolink!  Thanks again!
I also grew up with a hyphenated name and hated it.   What I disliked most about it was that it made me feel like we weren't really a family.  I know that sounds dramatic, or weird, but as a kid growing up, I would hear people refer to families as the "Smith family", or the "Brown family".  I felt that since we didn't all share the same name, we weren't really a team if that makes any sense.   My last name was super long too and just all around ridiculous.  When...
My husband was offered a job at Washington Univ. and it looks like we'll probably be taking it.  We'll be coming from Kansas, so it will be a nice easy move :)     I've read several other "moving to St. Louis" posts that answered a lot of my questions, but I still have more and would really appreciate some feedback.   My son will be starting first grade when we move and we'd like him to go to public school.  My husband wants to be able to either walk, or take...
I've never had a hospital birth either, and I'm sure you've already thought of this, but just thought that since most of your concerns on your list are during labor, could you delay going to the hospital until you are in the last stages of labor?  There are only so many interventions they can do if you give them a small window of time to do them in.  
Exactly!  How on earth would he know?  Plus, how does something that is perfect and working great (healthy, chubby baby, etc), suddenly stop working just because the baby has reached a certain age?  Very sad.  My own mother had her children in the 70's and 80's, and even then, her doctors criticized her for breastfeeding and one even told her, "fine, if you want to look and act like a gorilla, go right ahead!"  Luckily she saw that as a compliment and nursed me and my...