or Connect

Posts by Eresh

Check out Gaia's Garden ... it's a great intro to permaculture and is quite applicable to urban spaces.    We're in a townhouse with postage stamp yards.  The front yard is north facing with a huge ornamental cherry so the margins are deep shade.  I got rid of the lawn by putting down three bags of mulch and pulling up a couple of straggly clumps of grass every spring.  But nothing terribly useful will grow in the front yard -- deep shade, poor drainage, and, when...
I really don't think my fertility is returning just yet but I did dig under my sink and pull out the 1 stick I still have left from a year ago.  It doesn't expire for several months yet.  I didn't use it tho!   And so sorry to hear AF is back so soon for you =\
I hear you.  DH and I are planning on relocating out of the city.  He's a doomer but I mostly want to live and raise my sons where I have room to breathe and there is actual nature outside the door instead of landscaping.  DH and I both grew up rurally -- mine was more the capturing of horned toads and trap-door spiders, his more the chickens and cows thing.  So it's hard for us to envision raising our sons in this suburban lifestyle.  We're looking (not exclusively) at...
Thank you all so much for your replies. We have so much to think about. If I did get the position I would have two paid leaves back stateside per year but that's a lot different than dh coming home every evening. DS1 starts saying "Daddy will be home soon" a couple of hours before dh arrives every evening. I think taking dh away from ds1 for months at a time would be difficult for him. Of course there is the possibility that dh could get work there in his field but it's...
DH and I have a goal to buy rural property and move out of the city.  Due to the housing market implosion, we're slightly under water on our current house.  We're saving money but a lot is sinking into paying down our current mortgage but we have an opportunity for us to save a significant chunk within the next few years that would allow us to make this happen.  There is a position I could probably get if I compete for it that would take me overseas for 2 years and would...
Underground water is generally just fine to drink since it has been filtered through the earth.  Nearby contaminants (sewage, fertilizers, salt water, chemical wastes) can of course negatively impact the underground water supply though.  You can have the potability of the well water tested by the local health inspector (and should include a contingency to this effect when purchasing land).    Well water will frequently have minerals in it that you wouldn't have in...
Do it!   DH, myself, and our 2 kids are in a townhouse right now.  If I calculate square footage just from footprint X 3 (three floors) it's under 1400 sq ft but that includes the stairwells which, well, aren't livable space :P.  It also includes DH's work room which in a place like you're looking at would be in an outbuilding.  The boys theoretically share a 9x10 bedroom but in reality they sleep with me and DH sleeps in DS1's bed (he gets horrible sleep when he...
What about nut trees?  We're helping a friend who is going off grid (and hoping/planning/dreaming of relocating out of the city one day ourselves) and I was thinking of buying her a couple of walnut trees (not the kinds that kills other plants).  I know they won't start producing for a couple of years, but having another reliable source of quality protein that's relatively easy to store sounds good.
My grandfather designed and built a house in the Sierra Nevadas a couple of decades ago that I've always loved.  It had an open living room and large country kitchen/dining room with the wood stove at the side between the living room & kitchen.  A hallway led to one full bath and two bedrooms (one used as a den).  Upstairs had two large bedrooms and a small full bath.  Unless they had guests they always had the upper level closed off to conserve heat.  The bedroom we...
I buy from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange since they're only a couple hours drive from here and they specialize in varieties for the mid-Atlantic region.  I've not had any problems with them but I only have a 4x8 raised bed and buckets (we live in a townhouse).