or Connect

Posts by tree-hugger

Lead levels as low as 2 are indeed thought to harm children. The "safe" amount recommended by the CDC is an arbitrary amount--it does not represent a threshold amount. 
Quote: Originally Posted by Nan'sMom Not to be a buzz kill here but google "exploding Pyrex" and you can check it on Snopes. A bit frightening. The "exploding pyrex" reports were generally associated with extreme and sudden temperature changes. I wouldn't worry about using it in a slow cooker because they do not get extremely hot and they do change temperatures very gradually. An oven is likely to get hotter and experience more rapid temperature...
Been there. Reading Kids Parents and Power Struggles helped me a lot. Your DD probably understands on some level that the baby's arrival is getting close. Here's one analysis. She is probably scared and worried about that, and she also doesn't really know what to expect. From her perspective, everything is chaotic and uncertain and about to get even more chaotic and uncertain. Kids respond to stress and uncertainty by demanding control over every.little.thing and...
Thank you Tjej! What other books do you recommend? I have been talking to my daughter about what babies are like, but she doesn't like the sound of them much. When I told her that babies nurse a lot, she got very upset and said that she did not want the baby to nurse because nursing was for her. I hope to tandem nurse, and when I told her that she could nurse lots too, that did not seem to make it any better in her opinion. From what I can gather, I think she doesn't...
What should I do when my two-year-old grabs things? She is generally a sweet kid, but she has lately started grabbing things. She grabs things from me and her father and also from other kids. I am a big fan of unconditional parenting and attachment parenting philosophies. However, in the situation I don't know how to respond. Consider this typical example. At a playgroup (somebody else's house) our two-year-old wants something that another kid is playing with and grabs...
What are your suggestions for the birth of a second child when the older sibling is a toddler? How do you balance meeting the needs of both? How do you deal with a toddler who was used to being the only child and now has to share his/her parents with a sibling? What do you do when they both need something at once and there is only one parent at home? What works and what doesn't?
Is it possible to have drinking water that has not been sitting in plastic? Typically, with well-water, the water is stored in a plastic-lined pressure tank, prior to being distributed throughout the house. Is is possible to have a pressure-tank that is not plastic-lined? Buying water in plastic bottles is obviously not the solution. I imagine that municipal water is stored in, or travels through, plastic pipes at some point. It is also generally treated with...
Is a twisted pelvis likely to cause problems for giving birth? Does it make it more likely that the baby is malpositioned in some way?
You can use any slow cooker and turn it into a 100% lead-free slow-cooker. It is cheap and easy. Find a glass bowl that can withstand hot temperatures (such as pyrex) that is a bit smaller than the bowl of the cooker. Put your food in the glass bowl. Fill the slow cooker with water so that the water comes just below the top of your glass bowl. Your food will never come into contact with the slow cooker. This makes clean-up easier too.
My two year old needs to eat some really chewy foods as part of her speech therapy. The speech therapist suggested granola bars, which do indeed require a lot of muscle power to chew. I would rather not feed her granola bars because they have quite a bit of sugar in them and we try to eat no refined grains and no sweeteners (sugar, high fructose corn syrup, honey etc). Can anyone think of some foods that are as chewy as granola bars but lower in sugar? Thanks!