or Connect

Posts by barefootpoetry

A friend of mine is wishing for an HBAC for her next pregnancy. She had preeclampsia with her first. I have heard this can be prevented with diet, is it true? Google was not much help to me, nearly everything I found just told me what preeclampsia is and basically said that any mom who has it is SOL till the baby is born. I figured I would ask here to get more advice for her since I don't know much about pre-e.
My waterbaby was distressed at birth, so it's probable that the fluid in his lungs was from the pool. It took us a few minutes to clear the fluid out. He was taking rather shallow breaths for that first night, and his circulation wasn't that great either,so the next day we encouraged him to have a good hearty cry. As soon as he did, he pinked up completely (he'd been purple in the extremities) and was able to fill his lungs with air whereas before it felt like he was only...
Pelvimetry is incredibly subjective. You can only feel about 2/3 of the actual pelvis, so the rest is really just speculation, and that speculation depends a lot on who's doing the speculating. Four different midwives ( 3 CNMs and 1 CPM) have felt my pelvis, and given me four different opinions on it. One said it was "heart-shaped." One said it was "very, very small." One said it was "just fine." (I liked her!) And one (the CPM) said it was "pretty narrow." It turns out...
I also wanted to add that PPH is less likely to happen at a HB because you will get to nurse baby right away to stimulate that crucial oxytocin flow. You also won't have your placenta yanked out immediately after birth or anything crazy like that. PPH is much more likely to happen when birth is rushed and interefered with, and baby is taken away, like in the hospital.
Quote: Originally Posted by ErinsJuneBug Thank you ladies! It’s very upsetting for me that the #1 women/mother figure in my life is so totally opposed to my birth plans. I hate to admit it but I’m at the point where I am mad now. I'm sick of talking about it, and hearing stories of friends of friends whose child almost died. I have a great girlfriend I talked to today who really gave me a lot of support. She really helped me see how messed up it is...
Does she know what a midwife can do for a PPH at home? Or does she just assume that she'll just sit there and watch you bleed out? Midwives can carry Pitocin, Cytotec, anti-hemmoragenic herbs, and apply a variety of techniques to halt bleeding (i.e. placing a piece of placenta under the tongue, nipple stim, etc.). If all else fails there is the hospital. In the event that an utterly catastrophic hemmorage occurs (the kind that OBs aaaaalways like to refer to when...
Quote: Originally Posted by alison_in_oh That was the spoiler. A Lost thread in Birth & Beyond meant there'd be a birth in the ep. I didn't open the thread until the birth scene was over, but the damage was done just from that knowledge. I know I'm extra picky about spoilers but I thought the request to keep it in the TV forum for a day or so was reasonable... EXACTLY! And now I have watched the epi and can discuss it. I tried posting about...
Quote: Originally Posted by PaulaJoAnne May I suggest something? Look in your yellow pages for B&Bs near you. Call each one and explain the situation. You stand a good chance of possibly having a B&B all to yourselves, if the owner is understanding. You might be able to find one that has seperate cabins for guests. Paula I think this is a great idea if your MW's house doesn't work out. A B&B would likely be a lot cleaner than a motel too!
It is the uterus contracting that hurts. It has to contract very forcefully to move baby down the birth canal, which stretches MUCH larger than its normal size.
Quote: Originally Posted by gossamerwindweb Unfortunately I heard of a woman who UC on a military base several years back (I knew her on a UC list) and her husband had been commanded by his superior NOT to let her give birth at home when it was overheard what their plans were. When she did give birth at home, he was punished severely. It was like she had no rights. Her husband was really treated horrible. I don't remember if he got kicked out or not but I...