or Connect

Posts by sistermama

Quote: Originally Posted by StacyL I read "The Second Shift" in a sociology class my junior year of college back in my former liberal, feminist days. Granted, that was 15 years ago (eek!) but as I recall that book dealt with working moms, not tradtional SAHM's, and it was called the "second" shift because those Moms go to work all day at their job, then come home for the "second shift" of home care and child care, whereas men have only "one" shift -...
Also wanted to say, I don't know if you have read the new sticky from Cynthia Mosher, but I am really tired of all the sexual innuendo and cussing going on among you September mamas!!!
Good morning, mamas. I was on the computer WAY too late last night, and am paying for it at work this morning. I am so sick of my job - working on SEVEN years!!! I've got to figure out a way to stay home by September, in my experience, it is really hard to work with a toddler!!! On a cute note, Jack woke up this morning rolled over and said, "Mommy, you're my cheekyboy." Don't know where he got that from, but it sure was cute. I kind of feel sad for people who...
Any tips on adapting holiday celebrations to warm climates? I do okay for holidays that fall during the summer, etc., but living in Florida, it feels weird trying to explain "half way through winter" to my ds.
I've given my babies chammomile and catnip tea for teething.
My ds has to take really disgusting tasting medicine three times a day and will have to for years and years. What really worked for us was acknowledging that it tasted disgusting and really playing up the yucky aspects of it. For example: "This medicine tastes so yucky! I'm sorry you have to take this yucky stuff. Show me a yucky face (make face together). It tastes so disgusting! You're going to take this icky medicine and then we will say yucky together really...
I think that the electric ones really do a better job, too. You don't have to worry about moving them back and forth in those tiny little mouths!
I don't think that everything children do has an underlying reason that we have to figure out. Why does he get into the fridge? Because it is fun (eggs to crack, things to open), he know he's not supposed to (limit testing), etc. Sometimes children misbehave just to misbehave. I guess we'll just have to disagree, monkey's mom.
I was away from ds for 20 hours/week and I pumped until he was 9 months old. The pumping went okay at first, but just got harder and harder. I would take me about 2 hours of pumping (over the day) just to get two oz. I went to a good lactation consultant, tried basically every pump in her office - nothing. He was eating solids well and only away from me for 4 hours/day, so I stopped. I am so glad I don't really have to pump this time, as I only work 20 hrs now and...
Yes - of course they can be! I work part-time (with baby in tow) so I think I see the best and worst of both worlds. Staying at home is fabulous, rewarding, fulfilling but also unappreciated, mind-numbingly dull at times, etc. Working outside the home is stimulating, you get to see other adults!!!, financially rewarding (but not always), but can also be guilt producing, boring, stressful, etc. I think that the key is to realize that neither side has it easy and that...