or Connect

Posts by Marlene

I didn't know what the term AP was until after my dd was born- but I was already practicing it because it is so natural. My first clue came when I was pregnant and asked my midwife if I should make sure the baby's crib was not under an a/c vent and she looked at me like she couldn't believe what I'd asked and said, "isn't the baby going to sleep *with* you?" I thought I wanted her in a crib but once I brought her home I couldn't think of not having her next to me. Now...
When I was 10 my aunt had a baby and she let me feel how hard her breast got when it was engorged. That was my first realization that breasts were for breastfeeding. (Unfortunately she had to put him on formula because of a cleft palate.) Growing up I assumed I would use formula like everyone else in my family. But last year 4 close friends of mine had babies and all 4 of them breastfed. It showed me that it is possible to breastfeed successfully and it also helped me...
If she's hopimg for a VBAC but seems reluctant to listen to anyone but doctors then she's probably just fearful. Education is key. I think offering the book was perfect. Everyone has their own way and I just tell them all the same thing, "Just be informed. Research as much as you can."
P.S. My previous comment is not directed at you, Peacemama- I was writing my post at the same time.
Sleepies, I think that is terrible that strangers ask you why you don't BF. I must admit I was wondering myself, but then I said to myself, "what difference does it make to you? Stop being so nosey!" What do you say to those rude people? In another thread they were talking about "zingers" for people that disapprove of NIP and someone commented that we should use those opportunities to educate. But I think you are free to "zing" anyone questioning you. I guess...
Oh Shoshannasmom- You're so funny! I love those Gap commercials and can't help but sing along, too!! (Then I sing that same song to my dd all day long.) Singing with the music is so fun!
Hi Davesadoll, Just wanted to encourage you- your body is made for birth! I just gave birth (unmedicated in a birthing center) 4 weeks ago and it was by far the best experience of my life. Yes, it hurts like hell, but it is so rewarding! Definetly read Birthing From Within and find a great midwife and doula. (My midwife served as both). Just keep telling yourself, "I can do this". And you'll probably think the contractions hurt so much that you should get an...