or Connect

Posts by UptownZoo

Document EVERYTHING. Every single thing. Write down your notes about every interaction, save every email, text, VM, everything. Screenshots are your friend.   Go broke now. Money you save for orthodontia or college won't do you any good if your kids are alienated. Better to pay your lawyer every month with your kids in your house. I say this from bitter experience.   Eventually, your kids' dad's relationship with his SO will explode and everything may change, but...
You definitely want to do whatever it takes to get some occupational therapy. I'd also take her to the dev ped AND the ped and discuss your concerns about her behavior. If it does come down to a CPS investigation (and sadly, it does more often than you might think), you want to be on record with as many professionals as possible as the first person to bring it up. Not to scare you, and it probably won't happen, but my son's service providers have saved my butt a couple...
Ah, yes, the yelling. My youngest is 9, and he still hasn't learned to lower his voice! For him, it's definitely a sensory issue. His hearing is perfect. He's terrified of loud noises unless he's in control of them, which means that he yells at all of us if we don't tiptoe up and down the stairs, but he stomps stomps stomps all the way up or down.   I wish I could identify a solution, but we haven't one yet. Like the previous poster said, OT is the best treatment,...
Quote: Originally Posted by zjandosmom She kept going back to the fact that he can hold it together for school and that if he had a real illness he would not be able to hold it together. I'm sorry to say this isn't necessarily so. My youngest son (8 years old; dx is bipolar with psychotic features, among other things) can hold himself together better at school or out in public better than he can at home. Even when he gets to a significant level...
Hey all, sorry to intrude, but I'm having a hard time finding what I need. I'm putting together a list of internet divorce resources and I'm having trouble. I want to include resources that are specific to GLBTQ families, but Google keeps showing me news stories about legal issues. I'm looking more for things like online support groups, articles, things like that, and especially if it includes plenty of info about helping kids through the process. Anyone have any...
Yeah, I would get over to Wright's Law right away (someone linked above) and maybe pick up their book, too. You're going to have to become an expert in this stuff; you are your daughter's advocate. You're going to meet some truly wonderful people who want to help your daughter, and you're going to meet some people who are going to do everything they can to put up roadblocks. Knowledge is the thing that will get you around, over, or through those roadblock people. Get an...
Thank you both very much! I'll start with those and see where I get.
Hi all, I have a question. Is there any company out there that makes nut-free snacks that guarantee that not only is their facility nut-free, but so are the facilities that manufacture their ingredients?
All. the. time. Recently: "No, you absolutely may not blow your nose in the fishbowl." "No, it's not OK to pee on the dog. Go get the dog soap."
Yay, Steph! That's great news! We went through exactly the same thing last year, with the threats of truancy court, etc., and I was all set to tell you what we did to resolve it, but...no need! Hooray! Now, here's hoping that "resolved" and "ASAP" mean what they're supposed to mean!