or Connect

Posts by UptownZoo

Has anybody ever heard of such a thing? Carter has developed a pretty distinct case of echolalia recently. For the first few weeks, we assumed it was just, I don't know, a thing he was doing. It's been going on for several months now, and seems to be getting bigger instead of shrinking. My eldest did this occasionally from maybe 5-10 years old (he has CAPD and it was his way of gaining a couple seconds), but only a little, usually direct instructions. Carter is repeating a...
Yup. I'm right there. Having a SN child turns everything inside out. Quote: Originally Posted by bandgeek This is someone attacking OTHERS for something THEY think is horrible...kids with unmarried parents. Someone totally needs a slap of reality. And needs to learn to be nice. I just despise judgmentalism. Really, truly, deeply despise. This, for me, is all about coming from a VERY judgmental family and my efforts to pull myself out of...
Quote: Originally Posted by zinemama I commented. Twice, actually! And the second comment cracked me up! Thanks! OK, two so far in favor of "write whatever you want", which is obviously what I hoped for!
Quote: Originally Posted by enfpintj This is true. They are not supposed to make you wait according to my dh who is very knowledgeable in this area. Push the medicaid people and the hospital on this. Also, there are federally funded clinics that you could use as well. "Federally-funded health centers care for you, even if you have no health insurance. You pay what you can afford, based on your income. Health centers provide 1. checkups when...
Would you check out my post here?
OK, just wondering what I should do with my blog, and if it will work to leave it without a focus. I mean, I know it's OK; my blog, my choice, but it would be nice to have some readers, you know? The post I wrote is here. Any ideas? Opinions? I have lots to say about lots of things, and I don't love the idea of maintaining several blogs, but will I get any readers if I don't? All suggestions (posted here or there) would be greatly appreciated!
Quote: Originally Posted by JSMa H has joint legal custody... what kind of recourse does he have with his ex constantly making decisions like this without him?? She can't make these decisions unilaterally. With joint legal custody, the only decisions either parent can make on their own is for emergent medical care. All other decisions have to be made jointly. I don't know how far apart your two homes are. Any chance your DH can take on the...
There are always lots of factors to consider, but in our experience, yes, it's been very good for our kids to have both parents in town. My kids were 1 and 3 when their dad and I divorced; they're 16 and 14 now. They've done very well and with joint custody across all these years. DH and his ex-wife divorced when my SS was an infant, and SS (now 12) is also close to both of his parents. Of course, it presents its own challenges. We both see our ex-spouses regularly,...
For me, the most important thing is to check the used market first for almost everything. There's just a shocking amount of stuff available used. One small advantage of living in such a consumer society, I guess. To go along with that, it has helped immensely to know the thrift stores in my area - which ones tend to have more clothes, or books, or household goods, etc. It's also important, when you make a big habit of shopping used, to take a long view and be...
Quote: Originally Posted by Logan's mommy I spent my entire working career in retail, which always meant working Black Friday. I would rather gouge out my eyeballs than go shopping on Black Friday. I worked at Toys R Us, those lines are insane!!! People wait in line for HOURS! My DH worked in retail for over 15 years. He's been out for about 8 years now, and he STILL hasn't quite learned that holidays don't have to be stressful! We drove...