or Connect

Posts by sky_and_lavender

Flax provides ALA, which some people convert well to EPA but many or most do not. So it's not the same as DHA or EPA. I take: http://www.drfuhrman.com/shop/supplements.aspx#DHA for DHA (palatable drops--algae, not fish based) and 1200mg New Harvest vegan (algae-based) EPA. But New Harvest is no longer being manufactured! Aaaaa! It is great and has no aftertaste or digestive side-effects for me. and 1 Tbs ground flax seed
I'm so sorry to hear your news. I wish you grace and comfort as you and your family go through this difficult time.  
First pregnancy, I started at around 122 pounds, and I am 5'2". I gained 30 lbs. My weight gain was kind of slow in the beginning. I stayed at the bottom of the "ideal weight gain chart" until the end of my third trimester. I was vegan, all whole grains, beans, veggies, nuts, fruit. No refined sugar. In retrospect, my diet was a little heavy on the nuts and grains at that time. I was down to 108 by around 6 or 9 months pp, without any special effort.   Three months...
Everyone looks great!    I don't have a picture, but I'm around 17.5 weeks pregnant. During the last week, my belly suddenly got so big, whereas before there was only enough there for my husband and me to know for sure. I feel so big now! Second pregnancy and I'm quite short (5'1"ish). I was much thinner to begin than during my last pregnancy (20lbs less, and I wasn't overweight technically before) and I thought this would mean that I would show more gradually. I...
I asked my mw about it. In my state, CPMs can administer emergency medication like pitocin without a prescription. In my last birth, I hemorrhaged pretty badly--the midwife said she was about to call the ambulance and administer pit when other measures resolved it. Then she had to do a urinary catheter. So I wondered if I would benefit from having OB backup. She said that while she was open to me having concurrent care, it wouldn't have made a difference last time if I'd...
Amazing what you are going through, and, yes, such a mix of joy and sadness. You and you family are in my thoughts and prayers!  
animommy,   I was happy to hear that someone else benefited from this book, and I'm glad that my public angst led to that good, at least. It's been a week since you posted, and that means you are a week closer to your birth--or maybe it already happened. I am hoping for a healing outcome for you.   EDIT to add: I remember during my birth taking some phrase (can't remember it for the life of me--maybe hypnobabies inspired?) and repeating it over and over under my breath....
I would follow this eating style or something similar, maybe eating just one fruit a day or whatever was needed to keep things well. And I would exercise daily, maybe even twice daily.  
I was just listening to the pregtastic podcast on another subject, and a couple of ladies who had sciatic problems mentioned that sitting on a birthing (exercise) ball instead of a chair for at least part of their time wiped out their sciatic pain. Just wanted to mention it in case it helps anyone. I have had sciatic problems at different times and know how uncomfortable and persistent sciatica can be!  
I love the whole experience of HB midmives. My mw comes to my house for the visit, stays for at least an hour, chats, tells stories, does my checkup. During the birth she is unobtrusive and lets me labor whereever and however I want, and stays with me for a few hours after the birth, shows me my placenta and rejoices in the baby. Then she comes back several times during the next 12 weeks to check on me and the baby. Overall, I get so much personal care and attention. I...