or Connect

Posts by sky_and_lavender

A really interesting thing about pain is that it is not only very individual, but your experience of the sensations will be deeply affected by your attitude about them. (I am not saying that people who have very painful experiences are causing the pain, though.) There is a very good book called "Mindful Birthing" which neither advocates nor villifies medical (drug) management of pain during labor. Although the book is about birth preparation using mindfulness, it has...
  From what I have read, the amount of time needed to recover varies a lot from woman to woman. And it is hard to know whether you will be someone who bounces back a few days after you give birth, or whether you are too exhausted or emotionally intense or sore to function at all. There's nothing quite like giving birth, but you might get an idea by looking at how you have responded to other major life events. I knew before my first birth that, physically and emotionally,...
I had a similarly miserably thing (was it the flu?) and I found that rest was the only cure, but not an easy or comfortable one. That, and eating lots of green veggies and veg juices. But it was so hard. It took me a couple of weeks to get better, and after that I was exhausted for quite a while. (Mine morphed into a horrible sinus infection, though. I think if it hadn't I would have been sick for a week.) Most of these things are viral so anti-b's wouldn't help even if...
I thought this article was pertinent. Long but interesting, written by a care provider. Covers the normal transition to breathing with lungs. It really gave me a new perspective on the whole thing!  
Where in your house do you plan to give birth?   My prior homebirth, I put the birth tub in the living room and gave birth in the guest bedroom instead of our regular bedroom, but I've been thinking about Ina May and Odent's points about how important it can be to have a private feeling safe space. So I think this time I'm going to try to get the birth tub (which I plan to use only for labor) in our family bedroom, and to give birth in the bedroom. I think it will be...
Tenk, That sounds scary! I had some labor-like contractions for about a day around the 22nd week. This was after having a lot of BH contractions in general. After I got the Baby Stay In hypnobabies mp3 and listened to it, the heavy contractions and the excessive BH stopped. I also went to the chiropractor and started taking bigger doses of DHA (was already taking a lot of vegan EPA), since DHA supplementation has been associated with less PTL and better birth weight. No...
 I have been going to the chiropractor and getting trigger point massages beforehand every couple of weeks for the past couple of months. I definitely find it beneficial for preventing pain and improving my posture and getting me more in touch with my body. I feel the massage is more helpful than the adjustments, but the adjustments do help.   That being said, once when I had a car accident, I went to a chiropractor who was no help even though obviously I was totally...
It seems like pregnancy bring out the deepest feelings or fears of people around the pregnant one, even strangers but of course loved ones, too. Now that I am in that "very pregnant" stage, I often feel like people don't see anything but "pregnancy" when looking at me, and how they feel about their own bodies/pregnancies/(in)fertility gets reflected in how they respond to me.   If it was my MIL acting that way, I'd be annoyed, too, BabySmurf. I can't believe she would...
So much stuff I learned the first time around that I thought I'd never get to use again.   If you haven't been around babies much, try to go to meetups, LLL meetings or Attachment Parenting International meetings where you can see people with their babies. It might help you get a better idea of what parenting will be about. And if you are scared, it might help you assuage your fears.   If you don't know many moms in the area, Meetup.com can be a great way to find...
    Thanks, Sweet Huck and kitteh, for your support and thoughts on this.   I gained 30 lbs with my first, and I also started out 20 lbs heavier last time (still technically in the "healthy" range for my height, but lots of flab). My baby was almost 8 lbs, which was a shock because I'm so little and my husband's family also runs small. This time I started out at the lower end of "normal" for my height, but in much better health and with a better diet. (My diet last time...