or Connect

Posts by Aufilia

I actually am, too. :)
Ahh, I was thinking you were on the eastside. I'll send you a PM, though.   If they don't test for higher achievement, they may not know.  It's a ridiculous catch-22. We are in the same situation this year: DD did all kinds of higher-level math, even basic algebra problems, on a private achievement test that offered higher-level problems. At school, getting them to give her 3rd grade math has been worse than pulling teeth.    Oh, and one thing to consider: if all the...
That sounds utterly exhausting. It it not unreasonable of you to expect a commitment from him to be basically reliable and to lend a hand.  Frankly, the "I love you, do you love me?" business strikes has as emotionally manipulative behavior on his part. If he was really acting with love toward you, he would care about it when you say you are exhausted and need help, not ignore reasonable requests and then try to guilt-trip you.  I'm sorry you're dealing with this. :(
 Hah, that's exactly my question. Veeeery familiar sounding, and it would be easier to advise if I knew exactly which programs you were talking about.  FWIW keep in mind that because of recent changes to state law, a lot of the gifted programs locally have changed a bit in how they operate. For example, no more waiting lists, which also means no more extremely limited class sizes as several districts previously had, which in turn affects things like whether classes will be...
I don't know, rather than looking at her low scores and worrying about them, I think you could take the scores as her being gifted all over, and especially verbally gifted.   You might look into Davidson Young Scholars. The GAI and verbal scores are high enough to meet their IQ criteria, but you'd also need privately-administered achievement test scores.   As far as gifted programs in schools, they all  have vastly differing admissions criteria. Our local ones won't...
I just wanted to suggest that you do your own research on the potential benefits of ADHD medication before rejecting it based on the one example of your cousin. There has recently been some pretty good research showing that appropriately prescribed ADHD meds (the right med, at the right level) actually reduces the tendency for some ADHD persons to self-medicate with prescription drugs, other drugs, alcohol, etc. It can be hard because once we've seen a bad example like...
I took his last name when we got married so the kids have that same last name.  I'm divorced but I still have it, too. I might add my maiden name back in as a middle name or maybe hyphenate, but I'm don't really have an overwhelming feeling that I need to.  I identify strongly with my family of birth, but I identify more strongly with my children as family, and really, it's just a name. Thousands of people other than my ex have it so I don't see why sharing that last name...
Audibly invite someone else to drinks after work?
Maybe.  I was sure before my first pregnancy I would never pick a male OB or GYN, but then I had the most excellent perinatologist during my pregnancy who I would've trusted to deliver a baby.  So I guess I wouldn't rule out a male midwife.   Are there any?  I've never heard of one.
Do you want to work in your original degree area? Is there something else you could apply your previous education to?  I was only off work for 3 years, but it's hard to get back into a decent position with any kind of gap on your resume, and 10 years seems like a really long time in any field.  I think you'd almost certainly have to brush up with some fresh education/certifications/volunteer work of some kind.  I was laid off from an IT position while pregnant when the...