or Connect

Posts by Aufilia

DD is 7 and has had an IEP since she turned 3 so we've been doing this for years but I still hate school meetings. My daughter just started seeing a therapist (a social worker) who's experienced in talking with schools and will be attending IEP meetings as part of her services.  So I'm hoping the next one won't be so stressful.  No matter how nice and earnest everyone is,when you get in a room with the IEP team it's a bit like a panel interview: you vs the united front...
I have an issue with assuming that because something is "natural" or "homeopathic" means it's necessarily safe.  You can't even assume something's safe just because it's legal or non-regulated.  Anytime you take a substance hoping it will have an affect on your body, you're basically relying on chemicals in that substance--regardless of whether it's chemicals from a natural source or synthetic (and homeopathic remedies can be synthetic substances just like regulated...
  I don't want to gang up on you, but Linda said a lot of what I'm feeling -- and also urge you to look into OT.  Don't fear therapy--a good therapist is worth their weight in gold in helping a child learn about their own mind and body and find ways to express their needs in a socially-acceptable way.  Our OT recently moved away and my daughter was so sad because she enjoys her OT appointments so much and adores her OT.  I've always felt like our OT was one of the people...
I wouldn't touch Synaptol with a 10-foot-pole after reading about it online.  If the advertising council is after it for making false claims in its advertising, I'd have a hard time believing anything put out about it by the manufacturer is true at all.   Coffee is a stimulant and it really can be addictive so I don't think I'd necessarily think of it as a harmless alternative to stimulant meds. At my last office I had 2 work friends who were totally addicted to...
This is maybe neither here nor there but I wouldn't let DD read past book #4 until this year, and I let her read #5.  I told her she had to wait for 6 and 7, but she figured out she could check them out at school, so she did.  And that was the end of that.  She did much better with them then I'd've thought.  In the past, people dying have caused a storm of tears, but she seemed to handle it ok.
Can anyone who's been using this long-term comments on the long term effectiveness?  I'm just curious -- I've never heard of this product before and it seems like it would be worth trying. 
Ok, so this sounds like possibly the stupidest question ever, I know, but all my son (3y 4m) does is eat, eat, eat.  He's not fat, in fact, he's tall and skinny for his age.  At first I just blamed it on a growth spurt, or maybe not enough snacking at preschool for an active boy, or maybe he was too busy to eat snack.  But he's been to 3 different schools since this started which I swear was the end of last summer, and most recently was at Montessori where the kids can...
I don't usually post here but I happened by and it sounds like you've had a horrible time. I'm so sorry.  Children can be a joy but sometimes it's hard to see that joy when you have so much stress.   Have you ever see a doctor about depression?  Your story sounds so familiar to me in some ways: I (the breadwinner) was laid off during my pregnancy, and I was just so stressed that my entire pregnancy and the first 2 years of my son's life were just a horribly dark...
Hope you found a good place for you.  I had a natural birth at Evergreen 7 years ago and another natural birth at PSBC 3ish years ago.  I never felt pressured at Evergreen and my midwife was awesome; and the clinic I went to always had a midwife on call so you didn't have to worry so much about getting a non-natural-friendly dr. My main beef was that I couldn't delivery in water there, which I really felt drawn to during labor.  Also postpartum in the hospital sucked,...
Have you tried Milkshare (http://milkshare.birthingforlife.com/)?  I donated to another local mom via that group after my son was born.  Good luck!