or Connect

Posts by rockycrop

Yes, fish for sure! (And fish eggs...fresh catfish eggs are one of the best things I've ever eaten). I only really eat fish now when someone feeds it to me, or if someone catches it and offers it to me.  I don't buy farmed fish cause of the omega-6 issues, and I just (wrongly maybe?) assume all wild fish are over-fished.   Growing fungi is a great idea too, or even just learning what wild ones are edible.  I always get excited around morel season because everyone gets so...
Yes a root cellar!  And there's canning, I don't know why I didn't think of that.   I know my OP wasn't very cohesive, I have all these thoughts bubbling around about food and not many people to talk to about them.  I've been reading a lot of paleo blogs lately, there is just soooo much info to take in.  It's like we trying to emulate our ancestors in a society that's not set up for that way of life anymore.  Grok wouldn't have been eating coconut and lettuce, he...
I know what you're talking about.  I think with really fresh raw milk it is hard to see the separation line, but the longer it sits, the better you can see it.  When we used to buy the pasteurized kind, the cream was almost a seal you had to break through to get to the milk.  The cream is in a much more normal state in the raw milk (and that's why they invented cream separators).  If I want to use the cream for something, I just gently gather it off the top with a...
I feel like I go back and forth between my local/seasonal foods and primal, but do I have to?  Can you do both?   My background: we get most of our food from an amazing CSA.  They are "beyond organic" and they do meat, produce, raw dairy and some prepared stuff.  She's into Weston A. Price, the cows are 100% grass fed, the feed they do give to the pigs and chickens is soy and corn free, etc., etc.  I've stopped drinking the milk and eating the cheese (I still do...
For her past two birthdays (she's 4), I've put "presents are not required" on DD's invites.  Yes, some people still brought stuff, but the gifts were very much tamed down compared to other kid's birthday parties I've attended.  She got some homemade artwork, a homemade dress, other clothes and trips to the zoo and a play (it is still mostly family and close friends that were attending and they all know my stance on "stuff").  I don't know, I just dislike presents and...
May I present this to the jury: Albrecht Durer's "Studies on the Proportions of the Female Body" 1528    
Awwww shoot.   #1 Favorite Bad Food: Chili Flavored Ramen Noodles.  I still eat about 3 or 4 packages a year.  I will never forgot being pregnant this last time and crying tears of joy after eating some chili flavored ramen noodles (and yes I always say the whole thing: "chili flavored ramen noodles") because it was the first thing that tasted good to me in a week.   And other things that I don't eat anymore, but I subsisted off of/loved in college: -Kroger...
I have read several places (of course I can't remember exactly where now) that children cannot process/extract the vitamins and minerals from veggies as well as adults.  And that could be a reason that they don't really care for them for the most part.  I feel fine about feeding DD (4) good pastured eggs and grass fed meats, and then whatever else she will ingest without a gigantic fight.  Green stuff is pretty low on my "argument-worthy" list.  I care about: 1. Fat 2....
Sending you a friend request!