or Connect

Posts by IdentityCrisisMama

Mama, have you considered cross-posting in the C-section or VBAC forum?   
Oh, gosh!  You were given grief because you asked your kids go go outside for a while at a party?  I let my kids watch TV/Movies and I'm super relaxed about content, even, but you better bet that I shoo kids outside when I feel they should be outdoors instead of watching a show. I'm sorry that you have some difficult people in your life right now. 
But, I just went on with a bunch of advice, and you probably just wanted to be heard...sigh. It's a process. 
If I ever suspect that our rules and ways make another parent feel badly about their choices, FM, I employ the strategy of phrasing things to my kid in a way that helps my kids and the other families understand that we totally get that different families have different rules. With the fence example, I'm often the one letting a kid climb a fence because I subscribe pretty literally to the idea that if a kid can get up, they can get down. So, I may say to my kids, "I know...
Oh, come on, now. You know it's a little bit of  both...   
 Looking back at my young-er mom self, I'm so grateful for my friends who let me find my own way. Yes, sometimes I wanted advice but I think I often wanted to figure stuff out on my own. Plus, we all have our own issues, concerns, desires. With my own child, I have taken to heart some great advice I got about how to foster communication between parent and child. The advice was to always ask if your child wants your advice. I've been doing that for the past 6 years and I...
Oh, my gosh!  I have the greatest story about judgment about food. I have a friend with a now 5 year old. When he was younger child he ate very, very well - all sorts of interesting things too. My friend shared a nanny with a family who had a really picky child. My friend would just be baffled at how her friends would "let" their child be picky. I tried to explain that it's much easier to not understand something...when you don't understand something!  Oh, my, did she ever...
We're hooked on Brown Cow (US brand) cream-on-top yogurt, which has sweetened flavors. YUM!  I don't eat a lot of sweets but like these a lot and find them to be a filling snack for on-the-to. Maybe too much sugar...but it sure beats needing to hit the vending machine. ;-)    As for whole fruits and veggies, we've been lucky in that our kids, though picky, do eat lots of that. I'm sure I'd peel and process their food if it were the only way they would eat it but I started...
Ultimately, I think this is the goal. The point about helping kids know what the norms are is such a small part of the conversation. The big stuff is helping kids be strong individuals with resilient personalities.