or Connect

Posts by IdentityCrisisMama

I am in school and up until now we have had great success and are very fortunate to have people in our extended family able to commit to watching our toddler a couple days/week. Trouble is because these favors are free, our care provider sometimes cancels (always for reasonably good reasons) and I don't really have any recourse, yk?   Having family provide care is the best solution both because it's free but also because my DC loves it...but I'm taking a full, full load...
Had a chat with DH. He's not sentimental about the photograph and since it needs so much restoration (it's mounted to a dry, crumbling board) and since our house has a huge amount of humidity and temp fluctuation, we decided to give it to his brother to properly restore. It's in such poor condition that it really needs its next long-term keeper to make some hard choices about how to restore it.   I also had a chance to ask DH to pay better attention to his father when...
Yes, but copies have already been made - this is specifically about passing of the original.
I combined the two threads on this topic per member request. 
Yea. It was definitely that. One good thing that I can see coming out of me finding a way to get FIL to clarify his intentions is that it will remind him that he should be more tactful with this stuff. They have this huge collection of things and they are focused on the process of passing it on to their kids/grandkids. My guess is that without FIL realizing the potential for hurt feelings, that he will eventually offend everyone. Certainly not what you want associated with...
Oh, yes!  This whole process right now is about working through feelings so I can avoid any long-term resentment. I definitely don't think FIL has any idea that I was nearly as bothered as I am and I do plan to either resolve it or get over it. ;-)   What I really need is time to have a chat and a vent with my DH about this but it's a busy week for both of us. Venting and talking with my online friends is working in the meantime. I love Mothering for a vent that I can't...
I was trying to avoid venting too much on this thread but this is very much my feelings on the matter. In my family there is no need to stipulate who gets what or control the passing of family stuff. Everyone is just respectful and generous. The idea that this process needs to be controlled in an authoritarian way is irksome for the reasons you mention.  The reality is that I have a background in photography and art. The art on my walls is cherished far more than anyone...
Yes, I think this is his thinking. He does have a son with a son (his only biological grandson), however, and I think that if there are a few things he would like to only go to the males, that those things should pass directly through that branch of the family. 
Yes, that is a good idea (and I think RM mentioned it earlier). Unfortunately, this has been done in a variety of ways already. FIL is a massive ancestry person (some may call him obsessed ) so his family stuff has been distributed to everyone in every way imaginable (books, photos, online family trees, and etc). I think the gift is very much about "the original".