or Connect

Posts by IdentityCrisisMama

KIPP is for-profit, Beanma?  In that case we do have for-profit schools in our city...interesting!  
Right. What's important (and I think mis-understood back in the day) is that we don't pump the alcohol out of the breastmilk. So, if can't wait to pump until alcohol is out of your system (perhaps you're engorged) dumping may make sense if a mother is concerned but if you are pumping when your blood alcohol is back to normal, it makes absolutely no sense to dump that milk. It is that fallacy that is important to clarify for mothers who are being given dated information. 
In some states that is true but some states allow for-profit schools. For-profit schools (like for-profit prisons - how's that for inflammatory ) are not something I'm in favor of. If a district can't budget and support traditional schools, they should go out and scalp those for-profit models or at least sub-contract. There's something about the direct for-profit model that just irks me. Does anyone have a list of states that allow for-profit schools?  I know I've seen...
Oh, and I also wanted to say that not all charter in my city are non-zone. Some are zone school or zone preferential.  I do think the situation where a kids can't attend a charter school that's right across the street from their house because the school is lottery is pretty sucky. There are other negatives I see to lottery systems in terms of neighborly issues. 
It sounds to me like so much of this is district relative.   For instance, our charter teachers are union members but there are issues with charters having to pay actual salaries, which I worry stifles the mobility of teachers because they are so aware of their beloved school's budget. We also have some schools that have very strict rule for admission. But these rules are not allowed to influence who gets accepted -- but they can influence who chooses to send their kid...
 I'd like to know more about what you mean by diversity in this comment. Do you mean diversity of expectations?  I'd agree with you so long as the diversity of expectations were based on the child under the care of a skilled teacher, school or local board of education.  But, as a result in part from NCLB schools had drastically lowered their standards for the pending 2014 deadline (funny that we have not reached NCLB's deadline and are already on to different reforms)....
Check the research on pumping and dumping before pouring your hard work down the drain - it may not be necessary!
Linda, are charter schools in your area not required to offer the same FARMs benefits to kids who choose charter schools?  I think all of ours are. Transportation is still an issue for K-5 though. 
My DC attended two charter schools (one in CA and one in MD). I vote "it's complicated". I do not think for-profit schools should be allowed and they aren't in my state (I don't think).  Our district seems to be based off of NYC public schools. Before that, our district was also really struggling and the residents who could afford other options took them. Until charters came along. School choice, which now includes charters, innovative schools, magnet schools and etc, is a...