or Connect

Posts by IdentityCrisisMama

Linda, are charter schools in your area not required to offer the same FARMs benefits to kids who choose charter schools?  I think all of ours are. Transportation is still an issue for K-5 though. 
My DC attended two charter schools (one in CA and one in MD). I vote "it's complicated". I do not think for-profit schools should be allowed and they aren't in my state (I don't think).  Our district seems to be based off of NYC public schools. Before that, our district was also really struggling and the residents who could afford other options took them. Until charters came along. School choice, which now includes charters, innovative schools, magnet schools and etc, is a...
Your mom may be right!  I am reading about the Common School Movement for one of my classes. It seems school reform, standardization, and testing aren't anything new. And, in fact, may be part of the origins of public education. I don't think I can share my course content but I found this article that's pretty interesting: http://www.princeton.edu/~ota/disk1/1992/9236/923606.PDF
 Sorry I wasn't clearer. Your joke about needing to revisit an education in writing rings home for sure. ;-)   What I meant was that in a lot of the articles I've read and some of the discussion here it seems like the discussion is really about trends in education that have been going on for a LONG time. Many are things that I'm not about to defend. But, I am happy to question why so much energy is funneled into anti-CC when many of these problems existed before CC and...
Autism in general and occasionally if I have a cause to speak about a specific child. I may want to ask if a child has autism but I'm not sure if it's better to ask if the child is autistic. Or I may have cause to talk about educational issues experienced by children with autism/autistic children. And, I don't know what is the best phrasing. I will say that the reason I'm asking this question now is because I rarely have cause to talk about someone's label but it does...
Anybody...?  
It looks like Ohanian ID's as a progressive. But, I don't agree with her assessment about "toothless progressives" on this issue. In general, I think it's GOOD to acknowledge that all of our problems as a culture are intertwined and complicated. Yes, that makes it harder to build an angry grass-roots group if you acknowledge this, but it's an honest way of communicating that I expect from educators.     I do wonder how teachers of various backgrounds can live through all...
Checked out Susan Ohanian - not sure how I like her from what I've read so far.  Can you link couple of articles that you liked, T?   Reading one article, I've noticed about myself that my opinion about people who compare the US education system to the systems in EU countries drops once I see that. There are way, way too many factors to compare for someone to make any good case for x,y,z being what the EU does right compared to whatever point someone is trying to make...
I found this article, which makes a lot of sense to me: http://www.autism-help.org/autism-politics-culture-community.htm