or Connect

Posts by IdentityCrisisMama

Some child hitting me...wow!  I don't know. That has only happened to me once and it was a swing directed right at my face. My instinct was to catch her hand and say VERY firmly, "I am not going to let you hit me."  I'm not sure if this was my finest GD moment but it was the only time in my entire life that anyone has ever tried to hit me and I was kind of shocked.    General misbehaving, yea, I agree with FF (as usual) that I would gently and in a "we've all been there"...
Old, but quite good, I thought: http://www.alfiekohn.org/teaching/edweek/national.htm
Yes, of course. But, starting in 1st, like the OP is considering will mean that the child may miss out on this weaning in period when he has likely not grown out of the need. 
Yes!  And I would take this a step further and say that holding kids back in the opes that they will be more advanced than their peers will surely backfire because kids who have already mastered the skills being taught will be bored and will likely struggle with behavior issues.     Not that the OP is considering holding back for these reasons, because it is very clear that she isn't.    One of the really nice things about kindergarten (and there are some not so nice...
And, yea, OP, if you are not planning on starting him until the 15/16 school year, you may have to register next school year for homeschooing.  I don't know much about that and suggest our Homeschool Forum for questions specific to that.  I also agree with a PP who says that a child with special needs may benefit from the services guaranteed to him by the public school system. It's something to look into.  He may even qualify for some services even if you decide to...
Ok, if that is the case, I do not think my district would allow this, taking any debate form the OP about a 5 year old starting kindy in the 15/16 school year off the table. OP, I suggest you ask your district if there are any circumstances under which this would be permitted because I suspect that there aren't. Even a child needing A LOT of extra support would be placed in 1st, with an IEP and given the extra support they need in the grade appropriate for their age...
Wait...what's this about him being 7 in kindy...?     He is 5 now.  So he will have just turned 6 at the start of the 2014/15 school year?  Is that right?  So he will be one full year older than the very youngest students. My answer is based on that assumption. I do not think that that is a big deal at all.    I do not think starting kindy in the 2015/16 school year will be allowed, if that's what you're talking about.    And he WILL be registered before he turns 6...
There was a thread a while back and through that and a couple of articles, I realized that there is some degree of resentment from parents in regards to what is (IMO) oddly called "red shirting" in kindergarten.  I don't happen to share this view, so long as parents are making the choice to enroll their child a year later out of what is best for their child, and not in terms of how their child compares to her/his peers.  Apparently some people know people (this seems quite...
I'm going to hold a few posts on this thread for moderation so that mods and admins can have a look.  In the mean time, please have a look over the UA again. Members need to be able to discuss vaccine choice without resorting to name calling. To give a general example of terms that are considered name calling, terms like "free loader" and "sheeple" most certainly are.  Members need to figure out a way to express themselves without using terms of this nature. And, perhaps...
This!   I could add that my first approach is to just ask for information about whatever it is that I'm concerned with. I don't think that I've ever had to take it past that because every time I get a full picture of something, I realize that I think my DC's school has made a good choice.