or Connect

Posts by IdentityCrisisMama

I love it!  No worries at all from me. I'm really enjoying how everyone is sharing.  I understand what you're saying about keeping things and then feeling burdened by them. My DH brought home a lot of misc. things from his grandmothers home when she passed away. A few things were specifically given to him/me/us but there were a few boxes that DH just took because he thought I'd like them. I was conflicted about not keeping some of it but it was a lot of stuff that would...
Yes, it's so interesting to think of, especially with rapidly changing traditions and smaller family size. My own mother's last name is now extinct. She only has one brother and he only had daughters who, so far are not using the matrilineal last name for their children. And, yes, your point about me feeling badly about not using my last name contains in it the dilemma that I would only be honoring my father's side (I have my father's last name) in doing so. Come to think...
Oh, sounds like a lovely story line. And, yea, that's part of it for me. I am quite a bit younger than my DH. I expect to live a lot longer than him. I expect to become attached to things that feel a part of him. I expect my kids will too.    A WHOLE 'nother layer to this is that I do not feel attached to the tradition of patrilineal name giving. I regret giving both of my children their father's last name. I kept my name and wish I had given one child my last name and the...
anj_rn, for me the issue is complicated by a few things (shared up thread) but even without the complications, I don't really want something in my home that I am not trusted to know what to do with when it comes time to pass it on. I do understand tradition but in my family tradition is not shared in terms of directives. Some objects have a "story" and it is expected that the keeper of the object will honor the story when they pass it on, based on their own unique...
That's the same here - they even use ST scores for admission to some merit based middle schools. DC's 4th grade scores determined whether she could enter several wonderful schools/programs. The  same will be true for her 7th grade scores. I've still taken a relaxed approach - figuring that if schools think these scores are indicative of whether children will do well in certain environments, I'd like DC to perform on the tests with the amount of energy she is interested in...
Yes, in that case - I'd be more likely to feel that attaching benchmarks to testing is sending a message to kids that the ultimate goal is to learn (not to do well on tests).  Ideally, I'd still like to hear teachers/admins talk about benchmarks in terms of actual learning objectives but I can see where you're coming from. 
I do agree about that when it comes to learning. I'm not sure I agree when it comes to the purpose of standardized testing. I would not be at all comfortable with my DC getting benchmarks related to standardized tests. Benchmarks for learning, for getting work done, for getting to school, paying attention, being prepared, yes, but not ST. To me it's the difference of what the student should have their eye on and ST scores shouldn't be it, IMO.  
Mama, have you considered cross-posting in the C-section or VBAC forum?   
Oh, gosh!  You were given grief because you asked your kids go go outside for a while at a party?  I let my kids watch TV/Movies and I'm super relaxed about content, even, but you better bet that I shoo kids outside when I feel they should be outdoors instead of watching a show. I'm sorry that you have some difficult people in your life right now.