or Connect

Posts by beansmama

Quote: Originally Posted by corysmilk everyone of the alcoholics started out just where you are. If you don't attend meetings or get theraphy, how do you KNOW you're not an alcoholic? the stories people have about there families, should be very real to you. this where you could end up and these moms, want you to not end up there. being an alcholic is not shamful, modereate drinker someone who has a few drinks once in a while. heavey drinker, people...
Yeah...I honestly think that my drinking, although I still have fun...has gone from something to cut loose on the weekends to something to help me relax and/or cope during the week...a non healthy coping mechanism. I've always had a compulsive way of coping. I'm an ex-smoker, ex-cutter, ex-eating disordered (okay, still kinda with the binge eating...) gal. So I guess it was only obvious that once I started using booze as a means to unwind and/or ignore the fact that...
Quote: Originally Posted by RiverTam If anyone is looking for "getting sober" resources that aren't AA, here's a list of what I found helpful. Rational Recovery is a great resource. I saw someone else recommend it, and I second that recommendation. "The Little Book" is very helpful. Women for Sobriety is another great support group. http://www.womenforsobriety.org/ WFS uses "Nice Girls Don't Drink" as a primary text. It's a really great book....
Quote: Originally Posted by coleslaw Just a small suggestion, but you could try getting one of those pill counters that has a section for each day of the week. Put each type of pill in there, so you won't forget. I also like a previous poster's idea of finding an exercise/acitivity that you and the family can do together. There is also letterboxing or geocaching. I know...I know. I *totally* need to do this. I'm horrible about remembering...
Quote: Originally Posted by Tradd You are most definitely an alcoholic. My dad didn't drink to intoxication every other day, but close enough. Please get help for yourself for your kids, if not for yourself. You definitely don't want your kids to remember their childhood with an extremely bitter taste in their mouth and you wonder much later why they don't want anything to do with you. There was much verbal abuse in my home growing up, and a small...
I've come to the conclusion that I'm sugar sensitive (aka sugar addict). I'm planning on nixing most of the processed carbs, all of the white stuff, and of course - sugar. Although, I will say that I'm a vegetarian who loves fruit. i do NOT want to cut down on my fruit intake...but junk, yeah. I'm willing Is xylitol okay for me? We've used it a lot in the past because of teeth issues with Dd, and I know it's good for diabetics, because it doesn't effect your blood...
Quote: Originally Posted by Grace and Granola I just couldn't read your post without replying. I really hope you find what you're looking for. The part you wrote about your daughter and how you're more fun and she really enjoys it....I was your daughter. My mom was that mom. My mom was not good at coping with life, especially the hard parts. I assume parenting was hard. She was a single, working mother. She drank to unwind. When she drank, she...
Quote: Originally Posted by coleslaw I once read that people who have issues with simple sugars and wheat/gluten are susceptible to abusing alcohol. I dont' remember the specifics or who I was listening to when I heard it, but a program designed to address a person nutrition helped much more (like 75% or more) than AA. Just a thought. Maybe have your nutritional levels checked? ETA: I see your are on Zoloft and B vitamins are good for depression. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by lolar2 It could also be that the Zoloft isn't working well enough and you're still self-medicating. I'd go to your OB sooner rather than later, because of that. I've been thinking about having her up my dosage for awhile now actually. I think I'll call her tomorrow...she's really cool and said I could call her anytime with the PP stuff
Quote: Originally Posted by Kivgaen I posted this in a previous post, which seems to have gotten lost amongst all the AA talk: Here are some suggestions that I can offer: For 1: Drink water, chew gum, eat an apple or fruit, go for a quick power walk, etc. For 2: Vow to not give up... one mistake or fall back does not mean that you have "failed"... you had a bad day. Journal the experience. Try to pinpoint what habbits drew you back into...