or Connect

Posts by beansmama

Oh! And renters insurance is actually pretty cheap - you can bundle it with your car insurance. We have $25,000 protection, which is kinda ridiculous because we don't even own that much stuff (but I guess it's kinda the baseline of insurance?) and it's under $12/mo.
I've been lurking...   I'm happy for you guys that you got the apartment. I do, however, thing it's way too expensive, but then again - I live in Eugene, OR, not Chicago, IL...so I have no clue what apartments cost there. If I were you though, I'd keep your eye out for a cheaper place even once you move. I know moving is a huge hassle, but you might be able to save $100+/mo and that really can help!   Haha - I am so with you on the "$100 man money" being absurd!...
I need to cut out the store bought cereal. It is handy occasionally, but I'm a big pig and tend to binge on it...darn you 'honey bunches of oats'! Same goes with crackers and whatnot.   I usually try to have muffins on hand, as well as homemade granola bars and always fresh fruit - that's our go-to snack. I'm not very creative though, sadly.   DS (20mo's) makes it hard for me because he almost literally eats nothing. He nurses whenever he wants, but he doesn't...
a. Who you are Desiree, SAHM to 2 kiddos. I don't drive - woot. b. Where you are going (your financial goals) Our current goal is to finish our FFEF by Septermber 1st. That's nearly $5,000 in 6 months. It's very do-able, but it'll be tight. Challenging myself to no-spend is what I need.   c. How you plan to get there I rearranged our budget to squeeze out nearly every penny possible. We still get $50 for "fun" money every 2 weeks, as well as $40/misc...so...
I'm in! It's amazing to me that I'm the one who originally started this challenge, yet I have NEVER stuck to it! Arrrrgh! Well, good intentions, right? ;)   Anyway, our budget is pretty tight right now - we're trying to save nearly $5,000 in 6 months (to finish our emergency fund), so the grocery budget was pretty much the first thing to be lowered...and eating out, well, practically nixed (we do get $50/two weeks for "fun"...but who wants to blow all their fun money...
I'm back...well, I've always been "here", I'm just suuuuuper terrible at keeping up with these threads! We're still on BS3. We WERE finished with it, but had some personal issues last year and decided spending it would make us feel better (insert eye rolly smiley here, lol!), so now, thanks to our tax refund, we're just over 1/2 done with our FFEF.   We've kind of just been bumbling around - putting a little money in our ffef, then taking it out for...
I hear ya. I'm on a tight budget and I don't drive...and I live in rainy oregon...argh.   You're working now? Are you spending that money or saving it to survive those 18 months? Considering you're worried about the tight budget, I'm guessing you're spending? Why not try to put some of it into savings - say, $100/mo, and give yourself an allowance for those sah months?   Also, groupon.com is awesome. I'm not sure if your town has it yet or not, but they often...
I guess I should also add that since the secured cards are almost always used to build/repair credit, it's easy to tell if the cards report to all *three* of the CB's. They usually state right on the advertisement whether or not they do that - and I think it's a little tougher to tell as far as regular cards are concerned. I want to cover all my bases.   I think I'm just going to research our local credit unions and possibly open up an account - savings and a credit...
SERIOUSLY?!   That is..awesome. Thanks for the tip! We just embarked on a 6 month plan to finish our emergency fund, and it's gonna be hard - this'll help :)         Oh - and I'll look into a local credit union. I'm considering transferring our emergency fund to a local CU anyway, just so it's less tempting to use for non-emergencies! Okay, now I"m getting off topic!   Thanks everyone for the info/advice :D
We live in a slightly higher than average COL area (score of 113, anything below 100 is "low"). Anyway, Dh makes just over $40k/year and for us, it's great. I'd imagine other people living here might feel like that's not enough, but for us, we don't have a lot of expenses, we're pretty frugal...so it works. I feel very comfortable.