or Connect

Posts by maizy

Thank you!  
I'm looking for a free downloadable typing tutor for my 3rd grade ds. If you have a recommendation that costs, feel free to post that too. Thanks in advance
My ds started homeschooling this year. He has been in a Spanish immersion program in school for the past 3 years. We want to continue to foster his learning of Spanish. In this vein, I hired a woman (not a teacher/tutor) to come once a week for two hours and work with him.She only speaks Spanish and has no planned curriculum. She is, "open to my ideas." I thought that I could have them read together and discuss books, he could interview her about her life and write,...
I am going to hs my 3rd grade ds. He has been in public school, actually in Spanish immersion since Kinder. He just does not fit in the public school box and is bored 6 out of the 7 hours he is there. I want to try hs but want to find the right curriculum and am having trouble wading through all the options out there and don't have the $$ to invest in a bunch of things I may not end up using. I'd appreciate advice. I'll try and profile my son;   quick learner- not...
Hi, Thanks! I found Folsom Homeschoolers and hope to meet some like minded people.  
Lots of great ideas here. I just quit my job and we're going to one income. Some things I stocked up on were- 10 lb bags of rice, black beans, garbanzo beans, quinoa,  flour and corn grits. I can make humus, pita bread, polenta, beans & rice, bean dips, curried dishes and just add vegetables from the garden for easy and cheap dinners. I buy (splurge)  mushrooms, organic fruit, fish, potatoes and avocados. We spend $100 a week on groceries for a family of 4 (plus extra...
1. Forts indoor and out (indoor w/ used cardboard boxes, blankets, furniture, pillows- whatever) (outdoors w/ bamboo poles, tarps, rocks) 2. Compost bin fun- build "boats" out of melon rinds or other thinks found in the compost bucket. Set sail in creek. Parents can give prizes for fastest boat, most artistic, best fish food, etc. (my 7 yr old every raids the worm bin to put "sailors" on the boats which the fish love) 3. Bug scavenger hunt (give the kids a list with...
I'm looking to talk to homeschool families in El Dorado or Placer County. Does anyone know of a group called Horizon Charter Schools?   Is there another board you might direct me to? Thanks in advance.  
looking for secular hs/ us families or groups in El Dorado or Placer Counties. Coloma, CA?
How do you handle a 2.5 year old who hits you or a sibling? I've tried explaining hands are not for hitting and that it hurts others. I've asked him if anyone in the family hits and ask that he does not either. I've read books to him about gentle hands, etc but its not working. It seems like DS has the impulse to hit and just does it w/o thinking.  I notice he hits more when he is tired, or hungry but he will also hit his brother just to get attention.   I don't want...