or Connect

Posts by fizgig

Oh wow, I just reread your post and see that your little one is 22 months.  That is VERY young, if he's got a handful of words, I really wouldn't bee all that concerned :)  Not that it would hurt to try to encourage more verbal production, but he's not even 2.  Many kids (especially boys) language just picks up a little later.  If he's still not talking much by 2.5, then I might get more worried. That said, trust your gut.  If you feel like something is up, it can't hurt...
I highly, highly recommend two books. 1. "Play to Talk" by James MacDonald 2. "It takes Two to Talk" which is a Hanen publication   Both are available on Amazon, and both have been AMAZING at helping me come up with specific strategies to encourage our DS to talk.  If you can only buy one, Play To Talk is just great.  Though they are mostly aimed at kids on the autism spectrum, our DS is not Autistic, but the suggestions have worked wonders.    You sound very much...
askew, We went through something very similar with DS who has severe language delays.   Our development ped and many others also warned us off special ed programs.  We did try putting him in an EI special ed preschool when he was 2.5-almost 3 and, for us, it was a disaster.  He was by far the highest functioning child there and he got very little from it beyond learning the horrible lesson that you shouldn't bother trying to interact with other children.  So we had a...
Having just weened my sensory seeking almost 5 year old, I 100% understand how you feel.   At around 3 years old, I began to dread nursing him much of the time.  Partially because he wanted to fiddle with my other nipple and got very, very upset when I wouldn't let him.  Until around 4, he probably nursed 3-5 times a night plus 2-5 times during the day.  We also had an epic, morning "boob-fe" where he would sleep nurse from about 4-6am.  At around 3.5 years, I mostly...
All sounds totally normal to me as well.  My rule of thumb, if something is interfering with a child's ability to function in the world, it is something to get checked out.    All the things you mention can be part of normal toddler development.  If you have a niggling concern, I'd keep an eye on it, maybe talk to your ped, but I've worked at a coop preschool with my DS for 2 years now and I've seen typical kids do everything listed as a "red flag" - those signs are...
As the mom of a 4.5 year old "almost" potty trained (he still has accidents whenever he has anything on his bottom), I think you should just let things be - cut back on any pressure, maybe stop really talking about it.  The accidents are annoying, but I think him having accidents and being able to feel it is a good thing.  I bet he will eventually just get sick of having to change all the time.  At least that's what we are doing.    That he doesn't have accidents some...
It sounds like you are providing amazing support for your DS!    I think the evaluation team you saw sounds very good because sometimes children are just too young to accurately evaluate.   Our DS has a fairly severe language delay and one thing I have learned is that pretend play and language are directly linked.  Our DS's pretend play was delayed and has developed directly along side his language ability.  So your DS lacking pretend play doesn't necessarily mean...
pattimomma, I've actually never heard of late potty training being seen as a delay alone.  There is actually a girl in our DS's typical preschool who is still not potty trained at 4.5. She is totally typical in every other way, just won't potty train.  I can't imagine anyone would call her developmentally delayed.  Not sure what's going on, but she seems advanced in literally every other way.  I'll be curious to hear any other thoughts.    Our late talking DS just potty...
mleigh23, the line between aspergers and autism is fairly contested.  It is my understanding that kids with aspergers can have some initial delay in acquiring speech but that, when they do start talking, they often leap ahead.  Did you ask your doctor why they suggested aspergers rather than autism in general?  2.5 is very young to be able to tell the difference I think.   If you're concerned, I would highly, highly recommend making an appointment with a developmental...
I did.  It was a combination of circumstances - we were all struggling to balance work and our SN DS.  I was a full time professor so my schedule was flexible but we were all miserable and DS was definitely struggling.   We tried to put him in a daycare but it was a disaster.  We hired a nanny (with financial help from family) but even that wasn't working.  So when hubby got a great job offer in a different city (a place we really wanted to live) we decided to go for...