or Connect

Posts by fizgig

I 100% hear you, when our DS was that age he was exactly the same!   It sounds to me like there is something going on - some major developmental changes most likely, but what you describe sounds rather extreme and I think I would look at the big picture.  That he is waking so much and the issues you describe as an infant make me wonder if there isn't something medical going on.  I say that because never wanting to be put down is a huge, waving red flag for acid...
I'll add to the chorus that this is such a person issue!   I don't think there is one right answer to this question since so much depends on what is going on with your little one.   For us, we avoided labels because even the experts we saw were confused by our DS.  Some people were happy to simply slot him into the Autism box at 2.5 but most were hesitant.  That, coupled with the fact that we weren't seeing Autism ourselves, meant that we avoided a label because...
Oh, Mama I've got no good advice for you because we are in the same boat.  Though our son (4.5) has a language delay that is causing part of the delay,  but most of it is honestly that he doesn't want to interrupt what he's doing to go.  I am SOOOOOO tired to diapers, and he is our only child, so I can't imagine how sick of it you must be.    I hope someone has good advice - though I guess a psychologist might help? 
BTDT, I will second much of what has been said.  Don't freak out!  Surgery isn't a forgone conclusion, an ENT can tell you if there is actually a problem or not :)  In the mean time, there is simply no way you can know what's up until the ENT gets a look.  I know how much uncertainty sucks!    "Glue ear" is totally possible even in kids who have never had an ear infection and it can be hard to detect because the kids can often hear a lot of sound, but words still...
Ok, thank you all, this has been very helpful.    I can see the bottom of the dimple and it is below the butt crack, no hair.  So that is all very comforting.  Since our son is language delayed, I am always watching for other things that might be going on.  Sounds like the dimple is not overly worrying.  I will just wait until we see his dev ped again in a few months.  :)
The ADOS is play based - so they will set up a scenario and try to encourage your little one to participate, imitate, etc.  So they will have a birthday cake, pretend to light candles, sing, etc.  Or get a doll, bed, and blanket then pretend it is bed time.  The ADOS is only one tool and has some major flaws (it is notoriously unreliable for kids with delayed language so if your DS is very verbal that shouldn't matter though it can also be heavily reliant on familiarity,...
Ha, you should let things be all about you sometimes :)   Let's see - no we didn't end up having another child.  I've heard enough positive stories about siblings of kids with special needs that I am convinced it can actually make things better. But for us we both agreed that we are actually happy being one and done.     Our DS is doing great now!  He is still very behind language-wise, but in every other way he is on track.  The developmental ped we see believes...
HI sierramtngirl, welcome :)   When our DS was a little over a year I was EXACTLY where you are, right down to the conviction that DS was on the spectrum, wondering about having a second child, etc.   I will say that the limbo stage for us lasted until DS was almost 3 and it was very, very difficult for me.  I did not deal with it emotionally very well and, looking back, I realize that my worry and fear made everything worse.  My advice would be to seek support,...
After doing a ton of research on this I'm convinced that the massive increase in ASD rates are caused by a combination of increased reporting, coupled with a genuine rise caused by environmental factors that are triggering genetic tendencies.  So yeah, I'd totally buy that pollution, exposure to toxins, etc will all eventually be proven to play a role in rising ASD rates. 
loraxc, it sounds like there is more going on, but I would def ask for the Dr to check iron and make sure it includes the Ferritin levels (some basic tests won't look at ferritin which is the body's storage of iron). I say this only because our son was having a lot of stamina issues and, after a simple iron test came back fine, I pushed for a complete CBC and metabolic panel and they complied only because I forced the issue.   His ferritin came back dangerously low! ...