or Connect

Posts by fizgig

Here is my 2 cents - you need help.  Whether there is something going on with DD1 or not, your relationship with her is not doing well and I think that is very important.   To be honest, it does sound to me like there might be something going on.    Just throwing things out there, but her reduced affection and need to always get her way definitely suggests that there could be an issue that intervention might help with.  Even if you don't frame it as "something...
purplerose, I think you hit on the real answer to the OPs question.  If you want to help, you could just say to the mom, "is there anything I can do to help?  I know this is a hard stage." 
http://www.parentingscience.com/bed-wetting.html   This is written by an AP anthropologist mama and, while I don't have any personal experience with bedwetting, her advice has always been spot on for me.  
I'm just going to ignore the "milking the system" argument going on because I think it has nothing to do with the OP's article.  Plus it is HORRIBLY offensive to imply that many if not most children with high functioning diagnoses are somehow gaming the system.    Regarding the article, I really think the author has a totally valid feeling.  Dealing with a child with severe ASD, and seeing very high functioning kids being lumped in would hurt I imagine.  It would be...
Hi momma :)  Our DS had terrible allergies and reflux as an infant and is not on the spectrum.  He does however have a severe language disorder and I think we made his gi issues worse with the reflux medicine he was on for 11 months (necessary medicine but terrible for his gut).  I know other children on the spectrum who did have issues, but I also know a number of children with food allergies and no other developmental issues.  I don't honestly think you can assume...
Our DS isn't on the spectrum, but we spent about 2 years trying to figure out if he was or not.  Just to give you my background - it sounds to me like your DD has some "red flags" for autism but also some "green flags."   If I were you I would seek out a very good developmental pediatrician to get an evaluation.  In my opinion I would make sure you find a dev ped that DOESN'T specialize in autism, so they will be well versed in a range of possibilities (after about...
I think TheOfUs has it right on, until you've been there, it is easy to believe that there is some simple advice that will help a parent calm their screaming child.    Before I had DS, I often thought "that mom just needs to XX, YY, or ZZ and their child wouldn't be freaking out."  Now I know that there is NO advice someone could give me that would make things better, because I have literally tried it all.  I also think people with relatively easy going kids can...
As one of those moms who has walked around with a screaming child, I will say that I have NEVER felt anything but anger at the advice and comments I've gotten.  Honestly, you have no idea what is going on there and unless you see some reason that the child is being mistreated, it is none of your business!   Our DS had TERRIBLE reflex and often cried terribly, on and on.  I spent a goodly amount of my time, I mean 26 hours a day, carrying, comforting, and trying to...
Think you've gotten great feedback.  I also agree that, in those first stages of "is there something really wrong?" and "what should I do" I would have been very put off by someone doing all of that for me and I could see her not taking it well.   But I also think you were in the right saying something (though I do think I would have gone a lot smaller scale for the initial conversation.)  I've been in a vaguely similar situation where a mother is is denial about the...
Not that I don't think you can vent, but I will say again that it seems very possible to me that you don't have a full picture of what is going on with that family.   It is a rare doctor that will order multiple MRIs without some serious cause for concern considering you have to sedate children for them, so I strongly suspect you simply have no clue what they are dealing with and are judging them based on an incomplete picture.  If you actually consider these people...