or Connect

Posts by fizgig

Myson, two books that have really helped me when we were going through the whole diagnosis journey were "Play to Talk" and "It Takes Two to Talk."  They are both geared toward helping parents encourage communication and interaction with their children no matter what the reason for their language delay.  They both have practical suggestions for games and ways to better communicate with your child and I believe they made a HUGE difference for our DS.   
Just want to second the idea that you should contact PFLAG!  They are an amazing organization run by and for families of GLBT people :)    Here's a link to find your local chapter: http://community.pflag.org/page.aspx?pid=803
Hi PB, I would definitely, immediately get a referral to a good developmental pediatrician for an evaluation.  Skip the child psychologist and the therapists and go right to the person able to look at everything (developmental and medical) and help you figure out what is going on.  That is definitely not what I would consider "typical" behavior and it really seems like there is something going on well beyond what you can handle alone.   You mention a lot of red flags...
Whew, there is a lot I want to say here, but let me start off with the qualifier that this is all only my opinion and I know some will disagree.  After our own journey I have strong feelings about some of the ways that special needs/early education services are set up and applied.   There is a very good reason that many people (especially insurance companies and some schools) won't accept a PDD-nos diagnosis given before 3 years old and that is because it is SO hard...
Well, obviously no one here can tell you what is really going on with your son!  I have met parents genuinely in denial about their children's issues.  I have also seen young children given a misdiagnosis only to eventually figure things out many years later.  So either case is possible and I don't know enough of about you or your son to help you there.   However, I'm happy to share our journey.  Our son has a severe language disorder and is not on the spectrum.  DS...
Our DS is almost 4 and we tried EI in both Texas and CA.  In my opinion, the services you can get through EI vary widely depending on where you are!   In TX we had a very bad experience, they offered us very little and the services they did offer were very spotty.   In CA the system was much better and we encountered a number of great therapists.  HOWEVER, we also found that it was clearly a "system" that had a hard time accommodating non-standard issues.  For...
Our DS went through an intense hitting and hair pulling stage from about 3 - 3.3 (his language is delayed so he was probably behaviorally closer to 2.5 at the time.)  When he got in that place he was destructive and wild.  It was horrible, I felt like I couldn't take him anywhere because the second he didn't get what he wanted, he would go after me and yank my hair and hit my face (which hurt and was embarrassing.)  He also tried to hit a few other kids but I managed to...
Obviously this might not be the case ofr your little one, but when I was little I used to grind my teeth like crazy (awake and asleep).  It only finally stopped when I was in high school and started taking a multi vitamin.  Now, I go back to it if I don't get enough B vitamins and calcium/magnesium.  I have no clue how normal that is, but maybe a multi-vitamin would be worth a try? 
Linda, I TOTALLY respect and mostly agree with your opinion.  However, I feel that the idea of "training" a child out of violence without addressing the root cause can be just as damaging in the long run.   I speak as a person who had serious sensory issues as a child.  My mother was very willing to help me find ways to accommodate my sensory sensitivities (thank goodness!!) but there were still times when I was literally unable to control my reactions.  They were...
Just seconding what FarmerBeth said.  I'd say a good developmental ped evaluation is in order.  If you feel strongly that his pain and discomfort are legitimate, I would take offense at the implication that it's parenting or his defiance that is the problem.