or Connect

Posts by malamamama

The blessing of nitrous oxide is that when the mask is on, it is in effect, when the mask is off, it is not. Unlike the "cocktails" which remain in his system and really take hold or the GA which has it's own set of side effects and risks. The only risk I have heard with NO is with women in their first trimester. A big NO. My dd had her top two teeth extracted at 31 months with lidocaine, which is really what it is, not novacaine, which is old school-too many negative...
Yep I would read the tips. And BEGIN IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!!!!! My dd, who is now 6, HATED the teeth brushing so I lagged. At 15 months her decay was present. We extracted her top two teeth at 2 1/2 because they were absessing. This isn't every case. My girlfriend had same sitution with the toothbrushing and never a problem with decay. My dd has been cavity free for several years now, but the early trauma was not fun. Give a toothbrush, let her brush yours, then you...
Hugs to you and your dd. You might just give her the toothbrush and ask her to brush whereever she wants just to encourage and keep the continuity. When dd had extractions, she rinsed with salt water. The main objective was to keep the site extremely clean, the body will do the healing. Vitamin C in sodium ascorbate form would be good too.
What the dentist didn't tell you.................... When decay is present in the mouth, in order to control the spread, one must brush after everything he or she eats or drinks, other than water. I know this sounds unreasonable, but it works. When those cavities were filled, the bacteria just jumped to other "host" teeth. Flouride will kill the bacteria and although controversial, the topical use can help get the bacteria number in control. Some of the bacteria is ok....
How many teeth does she have right now?
Saundra....it is amazing how this board used to be so much a part of my life and now I am so rarely here. I do check in, but don't feel so connected anymore. Still, it is an incredible resource. Good to "see" you! We definitely realize that we are not alone with toothless dc's!!! Ya know, SMUM dentists all have different perspectives, approaches, and opinions, that's for sure! So far the info coming to me is just to let it be.....dd agreed. She has no problem with her...
Thanks Alegna and Smilemomma!!!! SMUM, Spacers are not necessary with the front teeth as they are with the back molars. We did have a kiddie partial for reasons of speech and self esteem though. I have a lot of posts about dd's extractions and partial beginning in 2003.
Well, the tooth fairy is not allowed in our house! At the insistence of my almost 6 year old! She is keeping her tooth. She put it in a little altar box next to her little tiny bunny rabbits. I don't find it ewww cuz its such a pretty little tooth. Having had a lot of dental issues in her early years, I am quite happy about that little clean tooth! The other two teeth we have which were capped and extracted and kind of ewww are in a little tiny treasure chest that was...
I think it is definitely important to take care of your decay. The bacteria that causes the decay can easily be passed on to your baby. And if left, the infection could create havoc. If you are avoiding amalgam and mercury which is wise, ask for composite. Nitrous Oxide would be safe to use as it is there when the mask is on and gone when the mask is off. As for local anesthesia and pain meds. Does she drink from a bottle? You could pump and dump. although, depending...
Hi Mamas, It's been a while since I've posted. My dd is almost 6 now and I am at a new phase of the extractions that dd had at age 2 1/2. (Her two upper front teeth were extracted) Her first bottom tooth just fell out (naturally) last week. Such an exciting moment for dd! The dentist now says he wants to X-ray to see where the upper adult teeth are at this point and would consider "slitting" her gums to aide the emergence of the adult teeth. He says the gums, having...