or Connect

Posts by atlantafemme

Thanks, Zoe. I appreciate the response. I'm keeping an open mind of course as it's always hard to tell anything about a place from the internet. But I wish we could move to the triangle or Asheville. I've loved my time in both areas. Alas, the job prospect dictates where we end up.  
Hey folks,   Once again, my partner is interviewing in an area where we don't know anyone or what to expect in terms of diversity/queer-friendliness. Anyone live in or have experience with either Winston-Salem or Greensboro, NC? We're not expecting to find many other queer-parented families or even necessarily looking for them in these places--our closest parent friends in Atlanta are actually a straight couple--but we're hoping one of these cities or some...
So should I take the silence to mean that the area is not LGBT-friendly? We're not looking for a bar scene or even other LGBT parents. We're just hoping to find a community of open-minded people. I know the south isn't much known for that sort of thing but college towns tend to have pockets of progressive/liberal types. I figured with so many colleges around, W-S couldn't be so bad. But now I'm nervous!  
Hi all,   My partner and I may be moving to Winston-Salem. We're a same-sex couple, vegetarian, moderately tattooed, with one son and another due any minute. We'd be coming from Atlanta, which is fairly liberal and veg-friendly. We have family in the Raleigh-Durham area and have spent a lot of time in Asheville but we know nothing about W-S.   Can anyone comment on how how LGBT-friendly the area is? We plan to rent, at least initially. Are there any neighborhoods...
We have an assortment of toothbrushes (including an electric one) for our 22-month-old, which helped, but the thing that worked best of all is this video I found on Youtube of a whale getting his teeth brushed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhPxE2g8iD0 We watched it a few times and he was delighted by it. Now every night, I ask my DS to show me how a whale brushes his teeth. I let him do a little himself and then I say, "Ok, open up like the whale so Mommy can make sure...
Awesome! Anjli caught my first bub at North Fulton two years ago so I'd love to have her again. And yes, I have a doula this time, thank goodness. I forgot that I can make her be the bad guy if necessary. Thanks for the reminder although it sounds like I may have supportive nurses anyway. 3 more weeks... (hopefully)
Congratulations!! And thanks for the info. I had an appointment with the midwives Wednesday which had to be rescheduled due to 11 women being in labor Tuesday. Not sure if you were counted as one of the 11 but "incredibly busy" is right! I'm so glad to hear you had a fantastic labor nurse. My biggest worry has been that the labor nurses will treat me like I'm high-maintenance or a bother b/c I want to be unmedicated.   Anyway, thanks again for the info and I hope...
Hey folks,   I'm due in about 3 weeks to give birth with the lovely women of Intown Midwifery at AMC. I remember reading some positive posts about labor/birth experiences on here when IM first started at AMC. I'd love to hear more recent accounts. So far, the main complaint I've heard is about the food which is not a deal breaker for me. I had my 1st son at North Fulton and found their food pretty lacking too.   Anyway--anybody want to talk about their recent AMC...
Our LO will take anything in this little mini-bottle looking thing we found for him when he had to take antibitoics for a UTI at 3 months. It looks like this: http://www.greatbabyproducts.com/Mini-Medicine-Baby-Bottle-p/step-669607.htm   He's 22 months now but still likes it.
Same thing happened to me last year. I had a colposcopy and my follow-up paps since then (2 by now) have been clear. It is shocking and scary but ultimately I found out that almost every woman I know has had an abnormal pap at one time or another. Cervical dysplasia is very common and usually not serious. Sometimes dysplasia even goes away on its own but I think it's better to be safe and go for the colpo.