or Connect

Posts by 47chromosomes

My kids, 7, 5, 2 are vaxed.  Not fully, and not totally on schedule, but nearly.  And now we have a couple sticky situations and I don't really know where to go from here.   My 5 and 2 year old both had some vaccines in April.  For the 5yo it was Kindergarten shots, and the 2yo was MMR.  Both of them had significant reactions.  The 5yo had a HUGE welt on his leg, hip to knee and a hand span wide. Raised, hot, angry looking welt that was painful for him and limited...
Thank you.  He has Down Syndrome, and we were sent home with the Allen Test and the tumbling E.  He just does not understand the tumbling E.  I had the bright idea to call the school nurse who I figure has a lot more experience testing children with special needs, and specifically Down Syndrome, than the doctor we have been referred to.  She is going to test him with the Lea chart.  I agree that the Allen card sort of suck.  Add to that the poor convergence people with...
DS has Down Syndrome.  He is 7.  He's never worn glasses, has been followed by a pediatric Ophthamologist every 2 years, and has no eye issues other than mild farsightedness.  The ped Ophth. no longer comes to our area, so this year we are seeing a new doctor who is testing DS using the Allen Preschool Vision Test.  We actually had to take it home with us to teach him because he did not catch on while we were at the office.  So now he gets it, and I tested him today to...
Thank you.  I found that very interesting.  So much of what he said resounded with me.  I would love to read his book.   And update:  DS has weaned valiantly.  I am very blessed.  Started on stimulants, and I have so many strong feelings about it... I'm a crunchy mama, so I wish there was a more natural way for me.  I wish everything was simpler, but the truth is these meds seem to help in a wonderfully subtle yet effective way.  It helps me to still be me, but I can...
I've been off meds for ADHD since I conceived by first child almost eight years ago.  I've been pregnant or breastfeeding (or both) since.  It has not been easy on me, my marriage, my faith, or my kids, but I felt the benefits of extended bf'ing was worth it for my children.  Now I am finally back in therapy after a few very rough months, and am abruptly weaning my 27 month old son so I can start back on meds.  I have so much optimism about the positive changes for our...
We have a lovely puppy.  He's 4 months old now, a sweet little guy, learning to get on with the kids and behave himself.  I am training him with positive reinforcement, and he is learning so much.  We adore having him, but I have one issue that I did not bet on when we got him, and that is off-leash dogs.  I am quite frightened of large dogs I don't know approaching me in any fashion, and now that we have a puppy we are dog-magnets when out on daily walks with him and...
I do not have experience related to what you are describing, but just wanted to share that in the past when a doctor was dismissive to ME, he was not dismissive when I put my concern like this, "Our SLP has observed xyz and was concerned, and I wanted to check it out with you."  Wouldn't you know we ended up with a diagnosis for something I had been asking about for months!  So, it might be helpful to put it like that to your doctor.  I would also video the twitches at...
We have friends with a daughter with Down Syndrome who was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension when they had moved to high altitude.  It resolved when they moved back down to lower altitude.  Here is the link to her blog, you might want to search it for her posts about their experience or contact her.  Good luck with figuring things out.  http://puritanwife.blogspot.com/
Your doctor's advice is of highest importance.  My son with Down Syndrome was a totally chubster the first six months, and then gained nothing for the next six months.  And it was the same scenario for my next two children.  All three grew in stature and were healthy as can be.  My son with Down Syndrome did not have a heart issue or any other issue except reflux.  He was exclusively breast fed until 16 months as he could not eat any solids until then.    Now our...
I really appreciate the info... thanks!