or Connect

Posts by 47chromosomes

Saw this post while searching for something else.  Just wanted to offer my experience after having two acynlitic babes (I think if there is another baby in our future we will be doing lots of visits to the chiro as others have suggested!)...   DS2 sounded like yours.  Was acynclitic for weeks prior to birth with his head toward my left hip socket.  He was persistently acynclitic through the labor (22hours of VERY intense, and painful work), and finally decended (he...
No problem.  You know Eureka, Arcata, McKinleyville, Fortuna, all the little towns up here are close together.  It is not unusual at all for a woman to pick a hospital in another town, so even if you go with Wellspring, they use Mad River Hospital as their back-up of choice, so even Eureka folks would transfer there unless there was a 911 emergency.  We love our Wellspring Midwives, but if they can't take you, go ahead and ask them for their recommendation of other...
lunar lady, what are the symptoms of PTSD.  Triggering events are definitely a problem, but I guess I figure it is still early.  On one hand I just don't know what I could do, on my own or with a therapist, that would really help aside from letting the emotions and memories become less intense as time passes.  On the other hand if we ever face giving birth again...  Oh boy...  I don't know what I would do.
Katie, I am in Arcata, just 10 miles north of Eureka.  Giving birth in this county is a really neat opportunity, and I am happy for you to be able to have the natural birth options available to you that are here.  I would highly recommend the North Country Clinic (NCC) in Arcata, and birth at Mad River Hospital's Trillium Birth Suites (also in Arcata) is another high recommendation.  We've had VERY good experiences with North Country Clinic and Mad River Hospital.  Both...
Well, I can't answer your questions regarding cervical exams or sex, 'cause I just don't know.  I do know that when I was having my membranes swept the first time my midwife was in there for almost 5 minutes just stretching and sweeping... my cervix was dilating as she was doing all this so it seemed worthwhile to be very thorough.  The second sweep was by my CNM and much quicker.  At my 2 week follow up with the CNM we talked and processed for a long time, and she told...
I was in a situation virtually identical to yours with my recent birth.  I am also GBS+, and I was over 41 weeks, and totally shocked I did not yet have a baby in my arms--my other sons were born before their dates.   Well, my midwives and I decided not to do membrane sweep, despite how uncomfortable I was at the end of my pregnancy, until 41 week mark came and went, and then both me, my home birth midwives, and my hospital CNM agreed the benefits would out weight...
Big hugs to you.  Take care of yourself.
My labia tear was caused by the midwife stretching me around the baby's head as you mentioned of yourself.  I don't blame her at all... we needed to get him out fast.  She even told me as she stitched it up that she was sorry because it was likely 'her fault.'  My tear does not sound as extensive as yours.  For me it is a little uncomfy for dtd, but then it is still early, and I expect scare tissue will soften with time.
After a traumatic home to hospital birth 6 weeks ago, any mention of labor or birth, or anything newborn related, just feels like scratching a wound.  We are so fortunate that our baby and I are are both healthy and thriving.  There were no lasting effects from our birth and the complications we experienced during and after.  And thankfully as the weeks pass I think about our birth less and less so it does not continually haunt me as it did at first.  Thank goodness. ...
I've never had a 4th degree tear, but wanted to offer support, if not insight.  Congratulations on your baby, and I'm sorry about that part of your birth that was not as planned or hoped for.  Sounds pretty scary.  I have had a 2nd or 3rd degree tear (can't remember what it was), in the vaginal canal with my first birth.  It nicked an artery, and was difficult to recover from because it was quite swollen for quite a long time, and then there was lots of scare tissue...