or Connect

Posts by ggs

"More and "all done" were very helpful as well. For some reason, both my kids first signed/spoke the word "cracker." I have no idea why that particular word stuck out with them, but around 13 months, both of them started signing and saying "cracker." ETA: "Dog" was also a big one for us, because we have one.
Quote: Originally Posted by allgirls Also, being confrontational and being firm in your desire to have something a specific way in your own home are two different things. If you want the bowls a certain place or a certain way tell her. With a firm smile, tell her. It's your home. While you can make yourself crazy with all the "well if she weren't here I wouldn't have to tell her" she is there and so might as well tell her what you want. ...
I don't have much advice, OP, but I wanted to offer hugs and sympathy. I am also South Asian (I think you are as well??), so I totally understand the cultural expectations that are placed on you as the DIL. I have seen this situation play out many times within my family, and completely understand the stress and anger that it causes. I think your statement that you felt like your DH already had a wife (his mom) when you married is exactly the problem this type of living...
OMG...leaving a 2 year old strapped into a car seat for 2 hours???? That poor child must have felt so helpless. Yeah, I think a CPS call is probably warranted here.
Thanks for the hugs, mamas, and the stories. They really help. DS woke up a little while ago and is totally back to himself, so I'm glad that there are no lasting effects other than his missing tooth. The hard part is keeping a close eye on him-- he's not supposed to put anything in his mouth (other than food, of course) for a few days, to give the gums a chance to heal over the spot where his tooth was. Of course, he's teething like crazy, so he keeps putting his...
I'm feeling so guilty about what happened today, and I guess I just need to get it out. DS is 11.5 months (1 year old on 3/23!), and he just started walking (well, wobbling, really) this past week. He's always been very adventurous and fearless, and gets into everything. Since he's started walking, he's become even more wild, and it's pretty hard to keep up with him. So, today DS was playing w/a small wooden bench that I had placed in front of our DVD cabinet, to...
Hi all... I'm considering going back to school for a Masters, and I need some help deciding which degree to pursue. Background: I have a BA in History, I got my JD in 2002, and practiced law as a private practioner from 2002-until March of last year, when I left my job to have my second child. I decided to take a break for a few months, and then start looking for a new job at the end of the summer. Well, after months of looking, I've gotten nowhere on the job search...
Quote: Originally Posted by North_Of_60 Please contact a lawyer. Many lawyers who deal with this kind of thing don't require retainers. They don't get paid unless you get paid. It can't hurt to call. This is true (attorney here). A personal injury attorney will almost always take a case like this on contingency, meaning you don't have to put up any money at all to litigate, and the attorney is paid out of whatever settlement you would...
I love Reyna (or Raina, or Reina) Rory Reese Rowan Rian or Rianna Radha Riya Renuka Reshma
Last week, we had a plumber over to replace our water heater. When he was done, he asked me to come down to the basement to give me some instructions. After a few minutes, we came back up so I could pay him. DD had been pretty quiet while we were down there, and I assumed she was still playing with DS. Nope. As I'm writing the check, DD comes out of my bedroom with every single bra and every single piece of underwear I own draped around her neck, and says "Look mama,...