or Connect

Posts by Forthwith

In my neither vast nor nonvast experience with the terms in question:   Helicopter parent = I don't want my kid to play in the dirt   Special snowflake = kid whose parent refuses to take any action when their "spirited" kid hits other children   Person who uses helicopter parent and special snowflake = someone who is frustrated by being looked down on for letting their kid get dirty, and upset because their kid is getting bullied.   I have never, ever, ever heard it...
There are also popular baby name lists you could check, if you're interested.  Here's one for Norway: http://www.baby2see.com/names/boysnames_norway.html and one for Denmark: http://babynamefacts.com/popularnames/countries.php?country=DNM    
We went with this one.  I carried DS, so we decided to give him my wife's last name.  This way, there's a something special connecting my wife and DS that I don't share (last name), as well as something special connecting me and DS that my wife doesn't share (genes).   Of course, it helps that, while I don't want to change my name, I also don't feel really strongly about passing on my last name (I share it with my father, who took off when I was young, and has had pretty...
  After DS was born, my grandmother told me about sleep training my mother.  She used to sit on the floor outside the nursery, sobbing, while my mother was crying.  I'm not saying that my grandparents were always ideal parents, but the only thing their using CIO was a symptom of was their faith in What The Experts Think Is Best.
I second the advice to start charting.  It's possible a doctor might be willing/able to check your hormone levels as well.   Personally, if we had more vials of our donor, I would be willing to TTC without weaning.  But that's mostly because I got my period back six weeks post-partum*, despite my son's constant nursing.    I figure breastfeeding can't be impacting my fertility that much.   *Or earlier.  It's possible some of the post-partum bleeding was actually a period.
We're in a similar position.  We're waiting until spring to TTC baby #2.  There is only one vial of DS's donor available to us, so we want to wait until:   1. DS is weaned (I'm going to start working on that in August, and plan to be done by December) 2. We've saved up enough money to try a round of IVF (provided our insurance will cover at least some of the meds - if they don't, I'll probably use clomid)   It feels bizarre to be going from DS's conception...
Neither of us are particularly sporty.  We're more the climb-a-tree-and-read type.  But I had fun as a kid swimming and playing soccer, so we may enroll DS in those when he's older (besides, there is nothing cuter than a group of preschoolers playing soccer - they're like tumbly little puppies!)  DS was a big baby (though he's slowed down now), so we got a lot of sport comments.  Btw, wishin&hopin, your DS is charting exactly the same as mine is now!    I don't know...
Our wonderful family doctor has recently retired, and I'm trying to find a new one.  Does anyone have any recommendations (or suggestions of places to look) for an AP friendly family doctor?
I'm not convinced that net nanny would do much good for any 12 year old who wanted to get around it.  Personal anecdote time: my mother never put any net nanny type programs on our computer.  Despite this, my little sister knew how to get around basically every kind of net nanny software there was when she was in junior high and high school.  She wasn't particularly computer savvy, and honestly, she didn't even really care, since there wasn't anything on our computer. ...
121!  About as crunchy as I thought I'd be.    Lost points on tandeming and CL weaning though.  I'd love to tandem, and nurse until DS wants to stop, but we only have one vial of his donor, and the donor has left the program so we can't get more.  We just can't risk losing our only chance at a full sibling by TTC when my fertility could be reduced.     I have a story that's kinda like that.  I was at a La Leche meeting, and it was almost over.  DW wasn't with me, but I...