or Connect

Posts by AquariusHome

Yes, exactly.  So hard to know - rather like walking a tightrope in the dark. I, too, believe the gifted piece is a very key player in this.  As we better understand all the forces that converged to get us to this point one of the things that has come up is how much DS2 is analyzing everything around him that other children would not be noticing or would roll off their backs.  I love that your DD wants to talk about purpura pansa mollusks and the ebola virus.  Precious!  I...
Right.  As moms, we can though to some extend.  I've never been the mom who tried to protect my kids from hard feelings like many moms do.  I feel like those are learning opportunities, but when  you have a child who is in a fragile state of mind those learning opportunities can be much more damaging.  I hope your DD is able to not take things too hard, and find a way to let it motivate her.  And good luck to her this weekend! DS told me this morning that the coach he was...
A bit better, thanks.  Instead of full-blown panic, the past 2 nights there has been just high anxiety from the time the sun goes down.  DD has been sitting on top of me in my bed (because the spiders might be in the sheets) holding vigil.  I have been giving her melatonin and she eventually falls asleep.  When she wakes, rather than being in a complete state of terror she is just worried and is able to  go back to sleep for a bit.  She's getting maybe 7 hrs of sleep now -...
Spiders can be quite fascinating!  I wonder if it would have made a difference if there had been a lesson on spiders involved?  In this case the movie was just shown at rest time without any instruction, as I understand it.  My gut is that it wouldn't have mattered - DD was stressed about all the stress in the rest of the family and the spiders are what her brain grabbed on to.  I haven't heard of any other classmates having issues with the video so it was likely perfectly...
Thank you Snapdragon.  Definitely something to consider.  I don't want to give further reinforcement to the spiders, but I might be able to make it silly or funny this way to lighten the mood... I think it was a children's show, but yes - spiders seem like a potentially stressful subject matter for a lot of kindergarteners.  I did email the teacher, not to complain but just to ask her to send DD out of the room if she was planning to show it or something similar.  The...
 Thanks Peony!  Wow!  6 months of insomnia would not be something I could handle well!  I can only imagine! I did consider Melatonin this morning, but didn't do it in the end because it was getting close to time to wake up.  We've always used Melatonin only at bedtime.  I was afraid to give it at 4am and get her sleep cycle messed up.  Thoughts? I did call the pediatrician's office.  I didn't speak with the doc herself but via the nurse - the answer was (I'm paraphrasing)...
 Thanks Peony!  Wow!  6 months of insomnia would not be something I could handle well!  I can only imagine! I did consider Melatonin this morning, but didn't do it in the end because it was getting close to time to wake up.  We've always used Melatonin only at bedtime.  I was afraid to give it at 4am and get her sleep cycle messed up.  Thoughts? I did call the pediatrician's office.  I didn't speak with the doc herself but via the nurse - the answer was (I'm paraphrasing)...
 Exactly what I've been thinking as well. Another 4am wake up call about the spiders in DD's mind.  This is the 4th night in a row, each worse than the previous.  The past 2 nights there has been no going back to sleep.  Changing rooms had been helpful, but now is not.  The spiders are everywhere.  No amount of reason, distraction, relaxation techniques, etc has worked to this point.  She can be convinced that a particular shadow under the covers is not a spider but what...